Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

green eggs and ham

I volunteered to make the green eggs part of the green eggs celebration for my son's kindergarten. I thought I was making dyed boiled eggs, it turns out the teacher wants scrambled eggs in a slow cooker to keep warm. Any tips on scrambling two dozen eggs and transporting them so I don't end up with rubber eggs or a soggy weepy mess.

asked by NYNCtg 9 months ago
Cav

I really don't think you can. Just the idea of keeping scrambled eggs warm has over cooked them. Is there no way to cook them there? I've never scrambled in a slow cooker but I think it's doable. I'd even consider (and practice) using the slow cooker as a water bath and cooking them sous vide: http://recipes.anovaculinary....

Or just explain to the teacher that they're wanting you to break the laws of thermo dynamics and that's why the kids are getting boiled eggs.

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

My family has a tradition of "plastic bag omlettes"--break an egg or two into a resealable quart-size freezer bag, add in whatever flavorings you like (diced veggies, minced ham, shredded cheese, herbs, etc), purge out excess air, and seal. Then mush the ingredients together until well blended.
Meanwhile, boil a pot of water. Place the bags in, zipper-side up, and boil for about 10 minutes, or until firm. Remove bags with tongs and let cool briefly. Open and turn the omlette out onto a plate.
A crockpot set on high will certainly boil water, but I'm not sure how long it will take. The freezer-weight plastic bags are needed because they can withstand the heat.
You might be able to prep everything in advance, eggs and greens in the bags, drop a crockpot off the night before and get it ready to go first thing. Serve the eggs on a plate rather than from the crockpot.

You can search "plastic bag omlettes" or "boil in bag omelettes" for more info. Depending on how far you live from the school, and how much in advance you need to appear, you might be able to cook the omlettes in advance at home on the stove and just leave them in their bags, keeping them hot in a pre-warmed crockpot. I would make it in gallon bags in that case--less playing and less mess.

It seems like an unreasonable request from the teacher. She should listen to reason. However, you can successfully scramble eggs in a slow cooker. It takes about an hour and frequent stirring will keep them evenly cooked.
http://www.livestrong.com...

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Can you ask if it can be an egg prep that can be served room temp, e.g., a simple fritatta, or even Tamagoyaki - Japanese rolled sweet omelet, cut in small slices: https://www.japancentre... My kids loved them when they were little, and they're not that hard to make (special pan not necessary for imperfect, but perfectly tasty and charming ones.) Eaten at room temp and they look cute and intriguing for kids - especially if you add some green food coloring.

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Greens like spinach added to tamagoyaki - that's brilliant! Keeps well at room temp and also good if heated up again.

Just bento has a really good recipe for that - http://justbento.com/handbook...

But don't tell the kids it's healthy.

01b18dff 9228 4fd0 ae7d 706e2150b95f  stringio

Thank you everyone for the answers. His teacher is...in her own words "a control freak". I don't think it will go down well if I suggest to change the way it is done. Cooked before hand and brought in a pre-heated crock pot is the way they do it. So I asked her for the recipe that they use and she told me to cook the eggs and put them in the heated pot. Bring to school.
My biggest problem is bringing a hot crock pot in with two kids during drop off.
Again, thanks for the ideas.

Voted the Best Answer!

If it will be a bunch of 5-6 yr old kids eating, I wouldn't worry too much if the eggs are a bit rubbery (many will only eat a bite or two, and at that age actually prefer their scrambled eggs overcooked!) I'm sure green-ness will far outweigh creaminess.

My only thing about transporting a hot crockpot is to be careful. I have cracked my crock before when I transported it while hot. If you have a stainless steel insert, this point id moot.

@gf, how did you manage that? I never transport my slow cookers with food in them, but I'm headed up the mountain this weekend with a full slow cooker. My head won't wrap around cracking the insert. I have one with a metal insert, but I want to use the other one.

ktr

I have transported mine with hot food in it many times. And my mother in law has transported hers to our house 2 hours away with hot beans in it. She packs it into the box it came in and puts it on the floor of the car surrounded by other things so it can't move. I have one slow cooker with latches on the lid so I try to use that one and then I also just put it on the floor in the backseat. If you wrap it in a blanket that'll help it stay warm too.

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

If you end up going w room temp, a frittata w a pesto, mascarpone and Parmesan filling is a delicious way to turn eggs green.

Good point Amysarah, maybe I am over thinking this.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Yeah, you worrying about it too much. You're schlepping green-colored chow to a kindergarten classroom, not cooking at the James Beard House.

Thanks to everyone who answered on this. I was going to try making the eggs in the slow cooker but I overslept this morning. So I just cooked the eggs and popped them in. the color was gross but the kids are excited.

luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

At a Dr. Seuss themed baby shower, I encountered the ultimate Green Eggs. Sugar cookie topped w a white fondant circle topped w half a green gum ball. End of story. Make ahead, portable, and adorable!