🔕 🔔

what to serve with risotto milanese

Hi! I'm making a risotto Milanese tonight and am trying to figure out a protein to go with it. I am going meat-lite lately and don't want anything too heavy; leaning towards seafood. Any suggestions would be great!

asked by Reenee Gangopadhyay over 1 year ago

Ba67bb65 4a48 4c32 9267 a44ff4dae0fb  tobacco road 010

Why don't you add some mushrooms and just have that? I just had a risotto Milanese with trumpet mushrooms and black truffles. It was divine!

I sometimes serve risotto Milanese with lamb shanks also.
Cheers
irina

Ed83541d 859c 43d6 90ad 1f8163d7cde5  532719 3658538260807 1195156242 32905581 1657496368 n 2

I don't think a protein is required, frankly. However, if you want one, shrimp or mussels would complement the risotto, cook quickly and add a delicious layer of flavor to your meal.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Well, the traditional seafood match would be a Piemontese style fish dish. These lean heavily to local trout or tench (which is similar to carp in some ways). Grilled or poached would be the typical cooking methods, as would the use of sage and/or bay leaves as seasoning.

At a traditional Italian table, the risotto would be served as a small separate course before the fish course, not as an accompaniment.

Anyhow, good luck.

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

Traditionally Risotto alla Milanese (Lombardia region) would be served with OSSO BUCO, which is the meat around the bone marrow, and the stock used for the risotto is brown beef stock. They are served together with a large bone marrow to deep your bread into. It is true that rice is usually served before, but not in this case. The rice in the Milanese does not have any vegetables or meat in it, only saffron. So it would be too bland to serve it by itself.

If you want to keep it light and change beef into fish I would recommend using Sea Bass. It looks like the osso buco meat and has the bone in the center. Use fish or chicken stock instead. It is a chunky fish so you can use the same recipe (less cooking time) and you might also find a light red wine to serve with it.
https://food52.com/recipes...

I agree with Your Guardian Chef. Branzino or black cod (sable fish) would work. Even lobster. Another alternative would be to do marrow bones by themselves. No meat just the delicious, unctuous marrow. It's protein rich.

I am with you Pierino, bones marrow by themselves would normally be my choice.

I think I would make a risotto with mushrooms or asparagus, serve a platter of antipasti or make a big salad and call it a day. Oh--with wine, of course! Here are some recipes
from Saveur to give you some ideas--the spelt-red beet risotto sounds good, as does the risotto with scallops. I like risotto, but after the first few bites, it gets a bit boring, so that is why I like some of these ideas.

Osso Bucco is my very favorite pairing with Risotto, but it's hardly light. As others have said, an impeccably fresh piece of fish would be very nice. I've also served steamed clams and/or mussels. It really depends on your audience which way you go.