What to do with a tub of Cool Whip?

I bought two tubs of Cool Whip for an egg-dyeing experiment, but only ended up using one of them. I don't love the flavor straight-up, so how should I use the second tub? Icebox cake? Other ideas?

former Community Editor

Read the ingredient list. I would toss it. Nothing there but chemicals - unless they've seriously changed the formula.

Cav
Cav

Cover yourself with it and pretend to be the Marshmallow man from Ghostbusters as he melts.

My master plan was to never tell anyone about this guilty pleasure. I use real cream to top it.
http://www.popsugar.com/food/-Bake-Pumpkin-Cheesecake-Recipe-38770503

dsullyo

There is an Orange Creamsicle Poke Cake that is out there that uses a mixture of Cool-Whip and instant vanilla pudding as the frosting. Great for BBQ's and Potlucks. Always a winner.

Rhonda35

Use it for the "why Cool Whip is bad for you" experiment (demonstrated by a middle school health teacher many moons ago): put some in the toilet and try to flush it - it won't go away. This is exactly what it does to your arteries - stays there forever.

Rhonda35

PS - I'd just throw it out - it couldn't have cost much and it has no nutritional value, so you're not wasting food.

I would make a trifle with it, but then I like Cool Whip. You can also make this,http://www.epicurious.com...

It's similar to the Strawberry Cheese Pie that they make at MonkeyPod on Maui. I need to have this pie daily whenever I'm there. It's that good.

Regine

I say icebox cake if you have a sweet tooth like me. You don't even need a recipe. For example, take oreo cookies, dip them briefly in milk and/or rum, and alternate layers of cool whip and cookie. Refrigerate overnight to allow cookies to soften up.

I had to walk next door and buy Oreos and cool whip to make this. I giggled at myself the whole time.

TobiT

I'm intrigued by the rum-dipped cookies. Might even have to try some cool whip to go with them.

Alexandra V. Jones

My mother made one of these every Thanksgiving in the 80's and 90's, to this day she still buys cool whip. It is dairy free so it can be a great vegan alternative if you need one and it freezes amazingly well. Honestly I wouldn't toss it out...try this instead. http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/cool-n-easy-pie-53370.aspx

Alexandra V. Jones

I take that back...it may have traces of dairy, I haven't eaten it for so long I didn't remember. But the pie is good!

It does contain dairy. First ingredient is skim milk. It also contains cream. I thought it was non-dairy as well.

LE BEC FIN

save it for a photo shoot or toss it................................p.s.was this a serious question or a joke?

I think I would toss it, too--unless you can give it to someone who actually uses it. I feel guilty when I throw out food, but I am not sure Cool Whip qualifies as food.

ktr
ktr

While I agree that cool whip is not something to be eaten on a regular basis I do remember eating it frozen as a kid and while I do not really like the flavor of cool whip, I did like it frozen.
Also, if you purchased it recently and it is unopened, you may be able to return it to the store.

former Community Editor

I used to eat it frozen as a kid too!

Dona

I'm really curious about the Easter egg dying experiment ! Care to share the details?

former Community Editor

If you google "shaving cream easter eggs" you'll find multiple hits. Basically, you're swirling food coloring through shaving cream (or Cool Whip for a (slightly?) less chemical-laden option, if you're concerned about eating the eggs) and then roll the eggs through it.

It was a mess. In the attached photo, the pale blue ones are what I got when I tried to roll the eggs through as directed, the Cool Whip just didn't stick to them at all. Round 2, I still swirled the colors, but then sort-of piled the Cool Whip on top of the eggs with my hands, and let it dry there for a bit, which resulted in the more vibrant purple ones.

I can see how you could get better results with shaving cream though, I think it would stick to the eggs better!

Regine

Susan let me know how it turns out. And here is my opinion about cool whip. Hey, maybe I am not gourmet but it can taste quite good in desserts. Many things in life are not good for you but there are food worse than cool whip that many of us eat. My motto is moderation.

Here they are. I made them in glasses. I've been known to eat a peep or two this time of year too. Guilty pleasures (really, no guilt involved) are fun.

Regine

Yum yum. I could eat one Suzanne.

former Community Editor

Thanks all for your responses, much appreciated as always!

TobiT

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is that cool whip has been a real life-saver (perhaps more appropriately "godsend") for kosher home cooks. I'm no fan of the stuff myself, but non-dairy topping can be very useful if you need to make a dessert to follow a meat-based meal. As a kid, I attended many birthday parties that featured spaghetti and meatballs followed by a cool whip-coated cake. Somehow we all survived.

If you are using Cool Whip with a meat meal, you should recheck the ingredients. I think it was reformulated some years ago and now contains dairy products.

Maedl is correct. It contains skim milk as the first ingredient and also light cream further down the list.

ktr
ktr

I just remembered, I think dirt cake uses cool whip. That was always a favorite when I was a kid. I think it's vanilla pudding, cream cheese, milk and cool whip mixed together and then layered with crushed oreos. And then a few gummy worms on top of course!

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

You know, context plays such a powerful role in formulating our opinions on these processed foods many of us are nostalgic for - I had a roommate in college, for example, who had never had a Twinkie, and when I finally made her eat one she thought it was totally nasty. I was baffled - I had never met anyone who thought Twinkies were gross, but they of course WERE pretty gross without the associations from childhood to bolster them. Personally, I like Cool Whip (although I haven't had it in years), but there was always a tub of it in the fridge when I was a kid, so there ya go.

Em
Em

Alright, I've never made this recipe because it's almost obscenely indulgent, but I've always fantasized about it. It's called Ice Cream Lasagna, and it awakens the child in me.
Ingredients: ice cream sandwiches, Cool Whip, hot fudge, caramel sauce.
Directions: Layer ingredients in order two or three times, like a lasagna. Freeze to set, then eat.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe...

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

My grandkids just LOVE this recipe (and to tell you the truth, so do we) and so I'll make it once or twice a year for family gatherings.

Bascula

No need to be a food snob: you don't like it (or the idea of it), you don't eat it.
That said, we love this: fold together a tub of Cool Whip (8 oz), two matching containers of flavored yogurt and a complimentary flavored box of Jello. Pour into a graham cracker crust and either chill or freeze. A lime version is enormously refreshing on a summer day.

Saffron3

I thank you for this. I'm going to try it in both fat free and regular. Lemon or lime. This is exactly what I've been looking for, to please an older client who insists on a chilly pie in summer. Again, thanks.

Rachel

Lindsey-Jean, if you want to go really retro, you could make a jello salad and top the bowl with cool whip. My mom used to make a jello salad called Cherry Coke Salad (it was definitely more of a dessert), but you dissolved a package of cherry jello in hot water, then instead of using cold water you use an equal amount of coke. Then fold in a can of pie cherries and allow to set. Top with cool whip. Insane amounts of sugar now that I think about it, but it's fun to remember nonetheless. Whatever you decide to do with your cool whip, enjoy and have a good easter! :)

PS your dyed eggs look fabulous!

mainecook61

About time someone mentioned Jello. My grown children have happy memories of eating fruited Jello with Cool-Whip when they visited their grandmother. They knew I wouldn't ever serve it!

Picholine

Toss it!

FoodFanaticToo

I know someone who makes a no-bake peanut butter pie with it. It's one of those recipes from those coil-bound fundraising cookbooks where people contribute recipes.