A question about a recipe: Fresh Herb Platter (Sabzi Khordan)

79d79d43 c5ff 467e bef6 07c1d8740f6e  2016 0307 persian new year herb platter with feta walnuts radhises and flatbread james ransom 043

I have a question about the recipe "Fresh Herb Platter (Sabzi Khordan)" from Louisa Shafia. what would be a good cheese substitute for the feta in the recipe? Not a fan of that particular cheese

asked by Ruchi over 2 years ago

LouLou

Did you try goat cheese?

Regine

Best substitute for me is the Mexican cheese called Queso Fresco. I love its ultra mild flavor.

Regine

See link regarding queso fresco. I usually found it in aisle of sour cream, cream cheese, etc.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/ingredients/detail/queso-fresco

Feta is a goat's milk cheese. You might try Humbolt Fog, which is not as strong, or a perhaps a Stilton which is an English cheddar. Taleggio also a cow's milk cheese might work. What is it that you don't like about Feta?

Ruchi

thanks for your thoughts
i love taleggio, queso fresco not a bad idea either!
i don't love feta because of the vinegary-ness for lack of a better term. but was hoping to find something with a similar texture. I thought about paneer but i think too bland almost..
my husband hates all goat cheeses - i trick him into eating the hard ones without issue but he won't do anything soft that goaty

According to my Greek grandfather, the best feta is made with sheep's milk, not goat. Have you tried it? There used to be a commonly found version from France that is very mild and creamy tasting. Or...have you tried Halloumi? Very mild, but with that good crumbly texture. It's made with goat and sheep's milk, so you may or may not be able to trick your husband. Very fresh ricotta may be a good choice. Full fat and made in small batches. My store sells it in small crocks. It's made locally here in Portland.

Ruchi

halloumi is a great idea!! i usually pan fry it with herbs but this would be a great place to use it as well

Have you ever tried Valbreso French feta, made from sheep's milk? It's delicious - a bit creamier and less tart than your classic Greek feta.

I get it at one of the desi stores nearby (wonderful place that provides excellent meat for my goat roasts). ;o)

AJ, that's the one I was referring to. I love it, but haven't seen it at my local grocery stores. Glad to hear it's still around!

I love Saganaki made with halloumi!

Ruchi

thank you all so much! i think I'm gonna try this with halloumi or sheeps milk feta (ill see if i can sample a taste before buying)

I think I'm reversing the Halloumi suggestion. I didn't read the recipe closely. I thought the cheese was pan fried after the herbs were pressed in it. I think the fresh ricotta or French feta are your best best. Let us know what you go with and how it turns out.

I actually make a cheese from Le Pigeon cookbook for that platter, it's basically a very lemony queso fresco, and it's always a hit. I would think any sort of soft mild cheese would work, really whatever YOU like. I would make sure it's spreadable

Whoa, Abbie, that sounds delicious. On my "must try" list. ;o)

paseo

With all due respect, real feta is from sheep's milk. If feta is too strong, soak in half milk and half water. Or perhaps a ricotta salata or manouri instead.

Actually, traditionally, it's made with a mixture of both, but can be made with either.
http://www.cheese.com/feta/