I found a bunch of Le Creuset pans in a box next to my neighbor's garbage yesterday - score, right?!! Most of it is in great shape and just needs a scrubbing. However, a couple of the casseroles have a few chips in the enamel on the inner surface. Is this anything I need to worry about or are the pots still useable? Please advise...

asked by Rhonda35 over 7 years ago

Without a look at your pans, it's hard to say. But I'm guessing that a lot of us have some Le Creuset with a few chips, and we're not tossing it. The biggest issue with chips is likely to be rust. Be sure to dry them right after watching, and rub a little oil on the spot.

Right after washing, not watching. Internet boards do amazing things to the brain-finger link.

Queen of Spoons

Agree with Greenstuff - Since Le Creuset is enamel clad cast iron - treating chipped spots the same as cast iron makes sense.

caddysnax

i'd ask the le creuset company if there are any safety issues because you have a layer of enamel over the cast iron so there might be issues about that. like for instance how do you clean that. everyone i know whose had chipped le crueset has thrown it out.

What a great find!

Rhonda35

Thanks, everybody! Good suggestions.

bella s.f.

SCORE!!!

Kayb

Wow. Wish I lived in your 'hood!

I have watched this with interest, because I have 2 similar -- a small sauce pan and a large pot. Some of the concern is because the cracked portion is on the bottom -- I think it would be more benign if it were on the side. Consider how large an area is affected. I've been hoping to find an enamel-fixer... (Maybe a dentist?) Time to take them out again and re-evaluate.
I think it would be helpful if I confessed why the small pot is ruined, no, damaged: I was making kasha, toasted the grains, added water without taking the trouble to heat it first -- cold water on hot pot... I didn't know what had happened until I ate it, and wondered what all the crunchy stuff was. So, don't do that!!

amreiskitchen

most le creuset is warrantied for 100 years to original owner. I would contact the company and see what they recommend. I have some of my mothers old pieces that have a minor chip at the edge... I just treat them as I would a cast iron pan. They are among my favorite things to cook with
.

Most warranties don't apply where the item has been damaged due to misuse or improper handling. It's going to be hard to answer any questions about how the damage occurred, given that the pots were obtained from someone else's garbage. ;o) P.S. I'm really interested in the problem that susan g describes. Yikes. I would never expect that from enamel.

RobertaJ

@susan g & @AntoniaJames----seriously ! Isn't that the very definition of "deglazing"? Pouring cold liquid into a sizzling hot pot, which I do *ALL* the time in my LeCruset as well as my Calphalon and uncoated cast iron,,,,,,

Wow. I just can't believe it could be the enamel coming up from the LC.

Rhonda35

Wanted to follow up on my own question to let you all know what Le Creuset's reply was to my question. Here it is:

"Ms. Thomson,

The only problem would be they might rust but just dry them and, if you
want to, put a tiny amount of cooking oil on them to prevent the rust
each time. Keep in mind that the piece could chip again and be in the
food after it is cooked. If you want to return read and follow these
instructions as you would be charged for replacements if you send them
in."

The reply then goes on to instruct me on the how-tos of sending the pans back and states that, if I was the original owner and the chipping was not due to misuse, they would replace the pans for free. (FYI for any of you who may be original owners with chipping issues.)

So, I am happy - sounds like my found treasures are useable and safe. Now, time to get cooking!