A question about a recipe: Rao's Meatballs

Cc489969 9927 48b9 87bd 7c360d6ac2bb  2013 0611 genius meatballs 013

I have a question about the recipe "Rao's Meatballs" from Genius Recipes. How to make breadcrumbs - I'm not sure where i went wrong with this recipe but I think it might have something to do with the breadcrumbs. I though that just meant using dried bread and cutting it in small pieces? but when I added them and then the water it still stayed too moist to form proper meat balls. I ended up having to kid of just drop some wet meat in the frying pan. It still tastes good but I'd love to figure out how to make it the right way.

asked by Jennifer over 2 years ago

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I think the recipe calls for way too much water. I've seen this recipes on various sites calling for no water, 1/2 cup water and "some" water. Here's the recipe from the Rao's website:
http://www.raos.com/raos...

I don't quite get the water bit but then I'm a bit of an apostate when it comes to Rao's anyway. One thing that would improve the texture is to toast the bread crumbs in the oven. The drier they are the better they will absorb water and contribute texture which is the only reason for using them apart from extending the meats.

Fresh bread crumbs to me are using any good bread you have (unless a certain type is specified) and pulse fine in the mini food processor.

I think the problem's the recipe, that's a ridiculous amount of water. Crumbs are crumbs-they're best made from dry bread in a food processor; bought panko crumbs also work well. Some people prefer to cube the bread and soak it in milk; it'll break up further when you mix the meatballs- a much better method if you want a particularly moist meatball. Or use grated, cooked potato instead.