A question about a recipe: Chocolate Mousse Cake

Fa9c67fe 0f2d 4b69 b823 498627e0ccf7  2016 0412 chocolate mousse cake bobbi lin 21515

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Mousse Cake" from Erin McDowell. When do you add the gelatine when making the glaze? In the middle of making it!

asked by Emma Brett over 2 years ago

Step #14.

"While the cake chills, make the glaze. Place the cool water in a small bowl, and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Bloom for 5 minutes."

Emma Brett

Thanks for answering me! I can see that bit but I am not sure when I add it to the rest of the glaze? For the mousse I then had to melt the gelatin and add to the chocolate (which turned it into a bit of a lump) so I am guessing I do the same here.

You're right, that part is unclear. Your best course of action would be to contact the recipe author directly.

That said, I'd probably just add it to the glaze when it is just about finished on the stove.

Anyhow, good luck.

Emma Brett

Thank you. In the end I followed this recipe http://www.marthastewart... and it all looks fabulous! I am assuming I need to store it in the fridge but I am really happy. Thanks for your help!

That's one of my favorite glaze recipes. So dark and shiny.

Erin McDowell
Erin McDowell

Baking consultant at large at Food52, and author of The Fearless Baker (Fall 2017)

Hi Emma - hope you managed ok! The gelatin is added at the end of step 15!