I am looking for a fat free substitute to use in place of vegetable oil in cooking curries. Please help!

I am not interested in baking. My usage is only for making curries. Or chowmein

asked by Sarah about 2 years ago

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Hi Sarah... Can you provide more details. Are you looking to cut down on calories, or cannot use oil at all?

Sarah

I cannot use oil because of health reasons

ktr
ktr

If you are just looking for something to use to keep your veggies from sticking to the pan, I have tried plain water with fairly good results. The vegetables don't have the same flavor as when they are cooked in some kind of oil or butter, but since you will be adding spices it shouldn't be a very noticeable difference.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Agree with ktr on the flavor issue. But, what you can do to improve flavor is to sautee the onions with water, and grill/roast/broil the rest of the veggies on parchment paper to acquire some char/caramelization. That will improve the flavor quite a bit.

Foodie

If your subsituting vegetable oil in curry, you can try other healthier options such as: olive oil, avacado oil, etc.... Yahoo released an article today suggesting to cut out cheap vegetable oil and replace it with avacado oil for a healthier option. (Avacado oil and coconut oil both have high smoking point and avacado oil is very neutral in flavor)

If you making thai or malyasian curry, coconut oil would be an amazing subsitute because it would further help the flavor of these asian curries since thai and malyasian curry contain coconut milk.

How does eliminating fat improve your health? Just curious.

C Sangueza

Susan W. I don't know what Sarah's situation is, but I have a friend with chronic digestive problems and she has been told eliminating all fats will help her problem. She follows that advice carefully and feels better and sleeps better.

Yes, it's probably none of my business. I just wondered if there was a holdout of "fat is bad" philosophy.

If you could link a recipe for us, that would help us finding a substitute. Off of the top of my head, just using broth would be a fine substitute.

Sarah

Thanks http://www.bbcgoodfood...

Jimmy Hoxie

Puree 1 peeled onion with 1 cup water. Use in place of oil, it won't give you the same results, but pretty good. The onion will provide the lubrication needed for keeping the dish moving. You could also try using vegetable broth for high heat cooking.

Sarah

Thank u. That's a great idea

I looked at the recipe and think Jimmy Hoxie has a great idea. Even simpler, you could just skip the browning and add your chicken in unbrowned. You'll miss a little flavor, but it's not a huge revision.