🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Nigella Lawson's Very Smart Strawberry Streusel Cake

3891db88 3f54 49f1 89b4 b4e52cee7422  2016 0517 strawberry streusel cake linda xiao 325

I have a question about the recipe "Nigella Lawson's Very Smart Strawberry Streusel Cake" from Sarah Jampel. Can I use creme fraich and/or buttermilk for sour cream--would you use half of each?

asked by Salvegging over 1 year ago

BRN

I think you can substitute sour cream for creme fraich, but I wouldn't use buttermilk. The texture would be wrong as sour cream is thicker. You won't notice the difference in flavor.

BRN

And PS: i usually don't buy mascarpone for a cheesecake either. Perhaps the texture might be a little creamier, but I have no problem with the texture using just cream cheese.

Crème fraiche is essentially French sour cream so sure you could substitute that. Or even Mexican crema. I doubt that buttermilk would be a success.