🔕 🔔

Why did my creme fraiche turn out runny?

I mixed my creme fraiche (2 tbsp buttermilk, 1 cup heavy cream) in a mason jar and left it, unsealed, for 12 hours, then refrigerated it for four hours. It came out thick like sour cream, and was perfect. The second and third batches I made came out runny, but I used the same measurements, ingredients, and method. Why?

asked by bryan over 3 years ago

A028427c 7b8b 4d1e a589 76ec9811f6fd  photo

Did the temperature in your kitchen change? At lower temperatures, it can take several hours longer to thicken.

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I think Kate brings up an excellent point. Also, was the cream ultra-pasteurized?

Bda79428 e86a 4eec 881d d77a2be3fdfb  profile

Thanks for the tip, Kate. That could actually be the problem, because the day I made it perfectly I had been baking. I'll leave it out longer this time and see what happens.

Trena, the cream is ultra-pasteurized.

Trena Heinrich

Bryan - My understanding is that sometimes ultra-pasteurized cream can be more finicky, as in doesn't set up as well, than pasteurized. That may be the problem. Good luck to you!