Why did my creme fraiche turn out runny?

I mixed my creme fraiche (2 tbsp buttermilk, 1 cup heavy cream) in a mason jar and left it, unsealed, for 12 hours, then refrigerated it for four hours. It came out thick like sour cream, and was perfect. The second and third batches I made came out runny, but I used the same measurements, ingredients, and method. Why?

asked by bryan over 4 years ago

Kate

Did the temperature in your kitchen change? At lower temperatures, it can take several hours longer to thicken.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I think Kate brings up an excellent point. Also, was the cream ultra-pasteurized?

bryan

Thanks for the tip, Kate. That could actually be the problem, because the day I made it perfectly I had been baking. I'll leave it out longer this time and see what happens.

Trena, the cream is ultra-pasteurized.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Bryan - My understanding is that sometimes ultra-pasteurized cream can be more finicky, as in doesn't set up as well, than pasteurized. That may be the problem. Good luck to you!