🔕 🔔

What a fun project! Canola oil is a neutral oil with no flavor. I would think any flavorless oil would work. I'm not familiar with mustard oil, but it sounds like it would add an unfortunate flavor.

Peanut or sesame oil might be nice. I am only familiar with mustard oil with a very strong flavor, one that I cannot imagine in nutella.

6cb49ef7 38b5 4eb6 aae4 04078f60ca73  how to make a custard part 1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

No. Do not use mustard oil for anything other than it's intended purpose. You don't need any oil to make nutella unless you want your product to be thin, even when cold. Hazelnuts and chocolate have more than enough natural fat/oil already. Use a high quality brand chocolate like Valrhona, if possible, because their chocolates have more cocoa butter in them than "baking" chocolates.

Other oils that would stand in for canola: grapeseed, sunflower, vegetable, light olive oil (not extra virgin/not green), almond, and hazelnut.