recipe for lacto-fermented vegetables, please

Can anyone point me to a general recipe for lacto-fermented vegetables (not sauerkraut or kimchi), please?

I know that somewhere I've seen recipes for jars of carrots, green beans, radishes, cauliflower...it seems to simply be cut-up veg, a salt brine poured over, let sit on counter for a couple of days to start fermentation, then into the fridge, eat up in a week or so.

What I'm looking for is a good basic process, some proportions, how to mix the brine, etc.

Also, could I put these in a plastic yogurt container? I have about a dozen of them -- would be nice to reuse if possible.

Thank you very much.

asked by Ted over 2 years ago

Rachel

I don't have any recipes handy at the moment but have you tried looking at Sandor Ellix Katz's book on fermentation? it's a great start, but most recipes (like those for preserved lemons for example) have you go by feel a bit. I.E. lemons are cut into quarters but left attached at the bottom and you rub salt in between the quarters and layer the container with salt until you use up your lemons and they're covered with a layer of salt. However, I came down here to at least give you the answer about the containers. I don't recommend using plastic containers, glass or ceramic are your best bet for the fermentation process. Good luck!

Ted
Ted

Thank you for your reply.

Ben McCulloch

I agree with Rachel that Sandor Ellix Katz's book is a great start and provides general guidelines. Manngchi on YouTube is Korean and has lots of fermented vegetables. The process is the same just the flavoring profiles are different. Here is a link for Fermented Korean Water Radish https://www.youtube.com...

Ted
Ted

Thank you for your reply.