Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

You can freeze anything if your freezer can reach the temperatures that freeze the item in question.

There's no way for anyone here to say whether or not *YOUR* freezer is cold enough to freeze whatever particular mixture you want to freeze. You will have to experiment on your own.

Good luck.

6cb49ef7 38b5 4eb6 aae4 04078f60ca73  how to make a custard part 1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

I have not met a single TSA agent that would allow me to have frozen homemade liquid in my carry on. Unless you have done this dozens of times before without trouble I don't suggest it. If the cabin pressure drastically changes in your aircraft, that's an explosion of challenging liquid you would not want to try and explain. But to the question of freezing salad dressings - yes, but I would freeze them 3 days before your trip, at least, to ensure they're frozen solid.

Shuna's right, I didn't notice the mention about carry-on baggage.

You can try this for your checked bags, but forget it if you are trying to do this with carry-on.

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

I am not an expert on this and I don't want to give wrong advice, but oil should be a natural preserver and you don't need to freeze it. Vegetables are preserved in oil: mushrooms, artichokes, aubergines, sundries tomatoes...I always have bottles of flavored olive oil for dressing or seasoning: Hot chilly, garlic, rosmarin. I just top it up and keep it for months. I learned that as long as the oil completely covers the food, the food will not go bad. It depends how long you are going on vacation. (beside the fact that they will not let you bring fluids in you carry on bag on the plane)

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

The TSA will take your salad dressing out you through an extra security check and use your dressing during their lunch break

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Liquid limit, frozen or not, is 3.4 oz/100ml for carry-on (besides baby formula or meds.) https://www.tsa.gov/travel...

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I wouldn't even do it in the checked luggage. With changes in air pressure in the baggage hold you're likely to end up with oily mess on your clothes.
Another pricey option would be to box it up with other stuff (Dry goods, spices, etc) and put it on dry ice and ship it to a fed-ex/ups store for pick up.

Have you left already & solved this problem, one way or another?
If not, my 2 cents:
The dressing as described blends easily with a fork or whisk, so no need to machine blend before travel.
My recommendation - carry the ingredients separately (or buy on site) and mix at vacation destination.
If you DO decide to blend in advance, omit the cilantro.
Fresh herbs can go slimy in dressings and reduce their ability to hold safely for several days.
Instead, chop & add just before serving.