Torpedo Onions - Pickling

I have a bumper crop of Torpedo Onions and they have an amazing flavor! Too many to eat all at once. Any recommendations on pickling them?

Thanks in advance!

asked by SKK about 2 years ago

1071292522

I would use this David Leibovitz recipe

http://www.davidlebovitz...

and omit the jalapeño peppers and carrots that his calls for.

Personally, I'd make several batches with small variations: different herbs or spices (maybe thyme instead of oregano, coriander seeds, szechuan peppercorns), different vinegars.

Onions keep pretty well in cool, dark storage, no reason to use them all up at once.

Yes, apologies for not being more clear. The onions growing are more like spring onions. Shaped like a torpedo, with greens. Mrs. Wheelbarrow has an interesting brine. Just wondering if someone has dealt specifically with Torpedo.

Thank you in advance.

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

Hi SKK, I was going to suggest my juniper brine (http://www.splendidtable...)! You'll see in the photo that accompanies the article, we pickled some rosy shallots along with the onions. Yum. -- MrsW

Thank you, Cathy! Much appreciate your input. Always love your recipes.

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow

Thank YOU! ❤️

ktr
ktr

There is a recipe for pickled spring onions in Marisa McClellan's book Food in Jars.