🔕 🔔

fizzy pickles

I made a batch of refrigerator pickles (beets & onions) a few months ago. Since then I keep the jar at the back of my fridge and eat them every few weeks or so. Today I opened the jar and pulled out some and they are audibly fizzy, and taste fizzy on my tongue! I read mixed reviews online whether this was safe or not to eat.... is it?

asked by erin almost 2 years ago

Sounds like your pickles fermented (the sugar in the beets and onions got converted to lactic acid). The fizzing is a by-product of the fermentation process, producing carbon dioxide (the fizziness). It's safe to eat.