🔕 🔔

I've been wanting to cook with lemongrass, but I have no idea how to use it. Can someone tell me which part(s) to use in a recipe?

asked by gonzosmom over 6 years ago
D22e715c 166f 4578 8ad4 1e169fc809ba  ry 400

You use the bottom of the stalk, not the leafy green top. Depending on the recipe you can smash the whole bottom woodsy part and add to whatever you are cooking and then remove it at the end or mince it very finely and add it to the recipe. Lemongrass is lovely and you will enjoy using it.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

Delicious in SE Asian style broths.

It is very fibrous, so if you're steeping it and using the whole big thing, avoid the temptation to cut it into smaller bits so your diners can easily avoid accidentally eating it. Do give it a few whacks with the back of your knife to soften it up/open it up a bit to help release the flavour. If you're mincing finely, be sure to use only the soft, pale core at the bottom.