When making eggplant parmesan is it better to salt/sweat the eggplant on paper towels or to soak it in (salted) H2O?

asked by jessf over 7 years ago

betteirene

I salt both sides of each slice and place them in a single layer in a colander in the sink or a bowl.

I've done this with zucchini parmesan but not eggplant parm--sprinkling it with Montreal Steak Seasoning--I love that stuff so much I could practically eat it with a spoon--to get a good additional layer of flavor during the sweat. Maybe next time.

innoabrd

I've always salted and then left it in a colander. Soaking doesn't make sense to me because part of what you're doing is drawing out some of the excess moisture.

FYI the eggplant parmesan pictured above is the only way I make it any more - it is THE BEST

Soaking in H20 will only cause the eggplant to take in moisture like a sponge, so the colander method is best.

casa-giardino

I salt with Kosher salt and place on colander.

Bevi

I salt and place in a colander.

Consider getting Japanese eggplant, or other small, thin variety, which doesn't require any salting at all. Much, much easier, with a nicer taste and texture, too. ;o)

RavensFeast

We had an Italian exchange student way back when and she soaked hers in milk. Her eggplant parm was pretty darn good.