🔕 🔔

Looking for new ideas for fresh favas. I buy lovely fresh, young (they don't need shelling!) favas, de-podded even. They are one of my favourites, and generally I do them with a bit of pancetta and mint. Just wondering if anyone has any other good suggestions? Thinking of making up a besara, which is an egyptian preparation of ground fresh fava (think green houmous), but before I do, thought I'd give you picklers a go at it!

asked by innoabrd almost 7 years ago

9848bd7f 4343 4a4a 8dbc 694f97ffd18d  s538818392 1497440 3193 1

I also love fresh fava beans.
http://casa-giardino.blogspot...

462c3ae8 2cef 42b2 b3d7 7ec5f6cc6294  fave dandelion fish 002

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Maybe you could come up with a recipe using the favas in a seafood pasta for this weeks contest. Epicurious has some great fava ideas as well. I'm sure anything you do with them will be delicious! http://www.epicurious.com...

Fbc31129 dd77 4f50 92da 5ddc4a29c892  summer 2010 1048

Lucky you! I like to mash them with olive oil, garlic, and lemon, some crème fraiche or plain yogurt, and s+p, probably similar to besara? Also, what about falafel?

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

I like fresh fava hummus, which is what I usually make with the frozen bags of favas. I also like a puree with a more Italian flavor for crostini--cook some crushed garlic in olive oil and puree with favas and salt, pepper, and lemon (maybe some meyer lemon zest). Serve on crostini with fresh ricotta. Favas, or "broad beans" are also used in Chinese recipes. I like to stir fry with a bit of ginger, red chili, and scallions, but many restaurant preperations have ham or ground pork.

I love favas but they are a pain in Cleopatra's royal ass to shell etc. But the end result is worth it. Here I do them Roman style http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Bc343245 99fb 4d2b 8579 9bf9c485181e  me

I do a simple dish with favas of tossing them with olive oil, garlic, lemon and chopped fresh mint leaves. Season to taste with a little salt and I can sit and eat an entire bowl.

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts!

First, I've gone ahead and posted the recipe I usually use for favas. While they're in season I do this once or twice a week...

Now, I used about a third of them in a tortilla this morning, along with the second tomato of the season from the garden and some shallots. Was OK, but shoulda added some pancetta...

The remainder I ended up using for a Besara of my own devising. Turned out yummy, shame I didn't do this before the the dips contest...

BTW, Midge, did you know that in parts of the middle east, and most especially in Egypt, falafel are made with fava? In Egypt this is distinguished from chickpea falafel as, "tamiya". However, not made with fresh fava, you use dry fava, which are soaked, but not cooked, before grinding with the other ingredients and then deep fried.

innoabrd-- I heard this about falafel when I was traveling in Israel --where I couldn't eat enough of it -- and I noticed that it sometimes had a greenish hue. Have never tried making it with fava (or chick peas for that matter) at home though.

p.s. Am saving your pancetta and mint recipe for fava season here. Can't wait.