What is a good way to use/preserve fresh mint?

I just started gardening, and my mint has blossomed and then some. I don't want it to go to waste, but I just don't use that much mint in my normal cooking (I usually use it as a drink ingredient/garnish). I'm looking for help on how to use it so it won't go to waste!

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich June 8, 2013

Congratulations on starting a garden! It sounds like you're on the right track with your mint plants so far. I have a lot of mint around my garden and let most of it flower to attract bees to my garden...they love mint. A nice and simple recipe that incorporates mint is thinly sliced summer squash pan fried in olive oil until lightly brown with a reduction of balsamic vinegar (the good stuff) with sliced mint over the top.

themissingingredient

No need to hoard your mint by storing it. Once it gets a start in your garden it will take over the place.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen June 8, 2013

To keep it for the winter, pack it in ice cube trays and pour a little water over. Freeze and then put the cubes in freezer bags. When you need some mint for a soup or stew take a cube or two out for your recipe.

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles June 8, 2013

You can cut large branches off the plant, and leave them in the sun for a few days to dry the mint for use later.

ellenl
ellenl June 8, 2013

I love this---thinly sliced cucumber with juice from 1 lime. Let sit 30 mins. Squeeze another lime in and mix with good amount of chopped mint. And can also do this and toss with chunks of watermelon.

SeaJambon
SeaJambon June 8, 2013

We had a very similar question recently (mint is clearly growing!!). Check out this thread...http://food52.com/hotline...

ellenl
ellenl June 8, 2013

Also, epicurious has a "recipe" for a minted citrus salad (something like that)----in blender or processor combine fresh mint and sugar, sprinkle over mixed citrus fruits. Minted pea soup (Bittman, maybe?). Mint tea. So many things.

bigpan
bigpan June 8, 2013

We made mint jelly. Next time I will cut back on the sugar a bit, but you need pectin for it to set. Due to the sugar content it keeps in the fridge for a long time. The color is not the green you see in the store - ours is more of a golden color - but a full mint taste.
Or, chop up and dry in a slow oven and bottle for future use.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick June 8, 2013

Make mojitos!

Voted the Best Reply!

Daria Faulkner
Daria Faulkner June 8, 2013

mint pesto is good way of using it and it freezes well top

Kitchen Butterfly
Kitchen Butterfly June 9, 2013

Make mint tea daily! http://www.kitchenbutterfly.com/2013/05/29/travel-by-plate-tales-of-moroccan-mint-tea/

Make a paste with green chilies, spring onions, cilantro if you have it, ginger and garlic. Store in ice cube trays. Pop into rice, sauces and soups

Antonio Amato
Antonio Amato June 9, 2013

Make ravioli filling, purée mint, peas
Parmegiano Little cream ,