Doogh

Do you make Doogh? I used to make it all the time and always used dried mint. Have you ever made with fresh mint? If so any tips on using the fresh herb. I tried it once and practically choked on the mint leaves, I was not able to chop fine enough. Maybe the food processor but what do you recommend if I wanted to use fresh. I have a ton in my garden and want to use it if I can.

Louisa Shafia
Louisa Shafia June 19, 2013

I LOVE doogh! I was introduced to it as a kid, and was so happy to drink it every day when I visited Istanbul a couple of years ago. I like to make it by whisking plain yogurt with dried mint. I add salt and pepper to season, then whisk in seltzer and garnish with fresh mint. You can pour it over ice, or not.

sdebrango June 19, 2013

Thank you so much Louisa, I think I will stick to the dried mint as I have always had it. I am so with you, it's delicious and refreshing and I almost always use ice.

Louisa Shafia
Louisa Shafia June 19, 2013

Yes, dried mint is a wonderful ingredient, the fresh mint is just for looks!

sdebrango June 19, 2013

Thank you!

Kitchen Butterfly
Kitchen Butterfly June 19, 2013

Oh boy....off to find out what doogh is! Love the sound of it though!!

sdebrango June 19, 2013

Yes, just plain yogurt, full fat is best, seltzer or sparkling water, mint and a pinch of salt. It's so delicious. I make it by the pitcherful

Kitchen Butterfly
Kitchen Butterfly June 19, 2013

Now that I know what it is....I love it and can imagine how refreshing it will be!

krusher
krusher June 23, 2013

And it is incredibly healthy as well. This thread is bringing back happy memories. The food of the Middle-East is the great gift to the world ... and so healthy.