🔕 🔔

Best brunch potluck recipe? The hosts will be making the brunch-y casserole, so what should I bring?

asked by bpfox almost 6 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

If the host is making a hearty casserole, I'd go with something light like a really good fruit salad. Also, scan through the entries for the best holiday breakfast contest and see if anything strikes your fancy.

Not really a recipe, but bagels, lox and cream cheese would be a good complement. Scones or muffins would be good though too.

Aa0aef2d aae3 438c a22e 1340af35ed29  face hat underpainting 1

Muffins or a coffee cake. This is a family favorite. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

357b354b 4c02 43ad 8664 b674194054ea  me.pie.cookbooks

If you bring muffins or scones, include a freezer gallon ziploc and leave the leftovers as a thank-you for the host.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

Bran muffins are always a brunch favorite, as are almond poppy seed or lemon poppy seed. I like rosemary cornbread with brunch casseroles. Another favorite of mine is to roast asparagus, arrange on a platter, top with grated parmigiano and top it with a "salsa" of cubed mozz and cubed cantaloupe, tossed in a viniagrette of lime juice and olive oil. If you want the recipe for any of the breads, let me know and I'll be happy to share.

You could always go with a quiche.

If you're comfortable with yeast doughs, I'd suggest cinnamon or sticky rolls. They can serve as a "dessert" as well as a side. Or a sweet scone or muffin. There are tons of good scone recipes out there, from double chocolate, to triple ginger to berry. Those all work, and can be made a bit in advance. Even the sweet rolls can be made in advance, and either baked on site, or rewarmed.

A fruit salad at this time of year is dicey, there's just not that much fresh and ripe that's available. There's citrus for sure, and you can get creative and use orange (or grapefruit) with jicama and avocado. Toss in some black olives and thin sliced red onions, and a cumin vinaigrette and you're golden. But it depends upon where you are as to what you can get that's fresh and good.

Since the "casserole" is likely to be fairly heavy, I'd go for a lighter side, or dessert.

Or go out of the box and bring fresh squeezed (please, not in a carton or from concentrate) orange juice, some sparkling wine (Champagne of course is the best) and offer to do Mimosas.

Or peach nectar and sparkling wine and make it Bellinis. Even better !