Help! I was planning to make Guinness Whole Wheat Quick Bread this weekend, but I forgot to make a stop by the store that has all the past-supermarket-level baking ingredients today and it's closed tomorrow. I need barley malt syrup for this recipe, and have none. I've never used it before. Is there a substitute? (I'm trusting I can find wheat germ in the health foods section of the supermarket, as I don't have that, either....)

asked by Kayb almost 8 years ago

plevee

Just use the same amount of honey.

lifestooshort

Brown rice syrup also works, or cane syrup--but they might be just as hard to get, depending on where you live, and won't give you that deep malty flavor. BTW, a lot of health food stores stock barley malt syrup.

monkeymom

Hi Kayb! I'd try half the amount of molasses and half honey. The barley malt syrup has a molasses like flavor to me, but not as strong. Or even just molasses if it is the lighter kind, like Grandma's sweet.

Sadassa_Ulna

I agree with everything above except honey and molasses are a little sweeter than barley malt so I would sub slightly less - maybe 90% to avoid making it too sweet?

Kayb

Thanks, friends! I have honey -- have molasses -- just reread the recipe (which would be thirschfield's, from his blog) -- and it says wheat bran, not wheat germ, and I have that -- so a stop to pick up Guinness, and I'm set to go!