I need to buy a stand mixer that can mix up 25 lbs of cake batter.I'm thinking Kitchenaid Professional 5tm but would an Artisan model be capable?Bosch Universal also looks good.Would anybody have any advice?Thanks

asked by tillie over 7 years ago

Midge

I don't know about the Professional but 25 lbs of cake batter would be way too much for my Artisan model.

You probably need a professional Hobart (probably at least 40-quart size) for that much batter, my KitchenAid 5.5 quart model can mix about 3 lbs of batter at a time (enough butter cake batter for 2 12" round pans.) Did you mean 2.5 lbs? In that case a 5-quart mixer should be sufficient.

betteirene

I'm having a hard time envisioning a countertop mixer that would have a bowl big enough to hold 25 lbs. of batter---not even my fruitcake batter is that dense.

If I wanted to use my KitchenAid for a batter that heavy, I would use it only to mix the liquids and I would stir in the flour by hand.

The two professional kitchens I've worked in relied on Hobart machines. The company makes a commercial countertop mixer. Are you wealthy? It will cost $5,000 American plus shipping, and even then I'm not sure the mixing bowl has the capacity you'd need. A Hobart floor mixer could set you back $15,000 or more.

http://www.wasserstrom...

@KitchenAidUSA tweeted the following: -The Professional and Artisan mixers are not capable of mixing 25 lbs of cake batter at 1 time. These are not for commercial use

spiffypaws

If this is a one time project, you could scale the recipe down and make it in batches. Otherwise you need to buy a commercial mixer capable of handling 25# of batter. The 2 mixers you referenced are too small.

RobertaJ

Yeah, the Artisan, which is what I have, ain't gonna cut that, certainly not in one batch, and probably not even in multiple batches. Sometimes mine struggles with a 2 pound batch of bread dough. While I realize that's a whole lot stiffer than cake batter, I can't even envision being able to fit 25 pounds of cake batter in an Artisan bowl.

As others have said, I don't think, if this is going to be a regular project for you, that any home mixer is going to fit your needs. If you really need this much capacity routinely, your best bet would be a restaurant supply house. You can probably even find a vendor of used bakery/restaurant equipment that would be more cost-effective than purchasing new.

If it's a one-time only shot, hmmmm. Beg and borrow as many heavy-duty domestic machines as you can, and break the 25 pounds up into smaller amounts, then combine it all at the end, manually.

innoabrd

Wow, that's some cake! Agree with betteirene (as I generally do, I get the impression she's not the sort of lady who brooks much dissent...), you need to look at a Hobart.

JessieLK

you could always rent professional kitchen space too.