okay, it's snowing and I have to make dinner. I have bok choy, red peppers, lots of mushrooms, little potatoes, and chicken breasts.....rice or pasta. What do you think?
?Confused in Philadelphia

aargersi January 26, 2011

hmm ... I would roast the little taters with olive oil salt and pepper,maybe some mustard, saute the bokchoy, peppers and shrooms together with a spice (crushed pepper?) and an acid (red wine vinegar? Citrus?) and I would brine the chicken breasts and griddle them. Then would serve the chicken on top of the veggies with potatoes alongside ..

hardlikearmour January 26, 2011

Some sort of stir fry would work with the chicken, bok choy, red peppers and mushrooms.

betteirene
betteirene January 26, 2011

Filipino comfort food, sort of like a New England boiled dinner. . .Cook rice separately. In a stockpot or Dutch oven, brown the salted and peppered chicken breasts in a little butter over heat that's high enough to brown them well without burning them, but don't let them cook through. Remove them to a plate and set aside. Add whole mushrooms, salt them lightly, and saute until golden. Pile them on the chicken. Add sliced red peppers to the pan and saute briefly; set aside with the chicken and mushrooms. If you have an onion, slice it, saute it and set it aside, too. Place whole unpeeled potatoes in the pot and add enough water (or tomato juice is another option) to cover them; salt the water lightly and cook, covered, until potatoes are just barely cooked through, about 10 minutes. Tuck chicken in and around the potatoes with a 1" piece of ginger (optional but really, really good) and a couple of peeled cloves of whole garlic. Pile on the mushrooms, peppers and bok choy; boil gently, covered, until the chicken and potatoes are cooked through and vegetables are soft but not mushy. Adjust seasoning of the brothy sauce.. Place rice in a deep bowl and spoon broth and vegetables over.

cookingwithfire
cookingwithfire January 26, 2011

Wow! Thank you!