🔕 🔔

Any thoughts on what to consider when buying an electric kettle? Any makes/brands that are particularly great or ones to avoid?

asked by Midge over 6 years ago

B6a74962 31fc 4e50 b866 0ea34483cfb8  fb avatar

I have gone through several different brands and some worked better than others. Paying a bit more for a name brand did provide more longevity in my experience, however, they all failed at some point.

I switched to the Thermal Hot Pot concept over a year ago. I love it! I leave it on all the time. Hot water whenever I need it. As long I as keep it filled. I thought it would just be used for hot beverages, but I use it for most meals I cook. Always a need for near boiling water. Shortens prep time for things like rice! I choose the Panasonic brand because I was not willing to pay the much bigger bucks for the upscale brand. It works like a dream. Here's the link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic...

As a bonus, I made my husband jealous over the holidays. We had a number of friends over to do some pistol shooting in the backyard. It was cold. I was in the kitchen as they dribbled in one by one, I offered to make a cup of tea to each lady as she came inside. They were thrilled to recieve their mug within seconds. They immediately could warm their hands. They offered me great praises. He stood there baffled that such a simple pleasure could wow a woman! :-)

80cc9648 9cfe 4049 92f3 f6fef0f3a439  fb avatar

these are staples throughout asia. We recently purchased a stainless steel Breville and could not be more thrilled. Alternatively, for less you can pick up a plastic model (larger in size) but probably for less as any major Asian super market.

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

We have tried several different brands. I would say to stay away from super-cheap models -- in my experience they do not last very long. A few years ago, we bought a Russell Hobbs tea kettle (made in England), and it really rocks! It's made from stainless steel, has a warranty, and heats water very quickly. It is cordless, which is a nice feature. We bought ours from Macy's, but I see that Amazon now also carries it: http://www.amazon.com/Russell...

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

This one was in the food52 shop recently and I think it's adorable. If I had the counter space, I'd get it.

woops: http://www.food52.com/products...

Fbc31129 dd77 4f50 92da 5ddc4a29c892  summer 2010 1048

Wow, so much to choose from and so little counter space! Thanks everyone.

0236a64a 6089 48f7 8ce6 5b790ad33fd9  0605111238

i love my Capresso (runs about 60 bucks)--it's really pretty with a glass container that removes from the corded base that stays put, so it never tangles and causes tiny-kitchen chaos. It boils REALLY fast. i would say definitely look for the automatic shut-off and the removable base. I wonder how much money it has saved me from heating on the stove...i imagine a lot!