A question about a recipe: Chocolate Dump-It Cake

33901f8b dab8 4ac5 8d01 7bf897aa6a96  2015 0122 chocolate dump it cake james ransom 008

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Dump-It Cake" from Amanda Hesser. What brand of sour cream do you like best? I found the frosting too tangy for my tastes but like the ease. I live in the mid-Atlantic. I used Trader Joe's brand.

asked by Windischgirl over 2 years ago

I haven't tried Trader Joe's, but I've used Organic Valley, Friendship, and Breakstones, all with success.

Windischgirl

Amanda, which do you think had the mildest (least sour) flavor? I normally love sour cream but didn't care for the sour cream-chocolate juxtaposition.
Or is there another dairy item I could use--creme fraiche, mascarpone, Greek yogurt, etc?
I think I used Hershey's chips with an added 1/2 oz of unsweetened chocolate (cleaning out the pantry). Do you think another chocolate is preferred?

I baked the cake for a party at work and it was requested for my colleauge's birthday next week.
Thanks so much!

Windishgirl, for what it's worth, I prefer Guittard chips - especially their Akoma chips. I think the quality is better, hence a better finished product. Whole Foods carries them, or you can order on their web site. I would also think crème fraîche could be subbed for the sour cream quite nicely.

Safeway also carries Guittard chips, though not always a great variety of them.

nance

Greek yogurt won't have the fat, so its taste will be even more tangy and astringent. I use Breakstone and Daisy interchangeably, each with great results in recipes and as condiments. Switching to mascarpone thinned with a bit of milk might give you the mildness you are looking for.

Windischgirl

Thanks, Nance! I think I may do a bit of experimenting with the two brands you suggested, and mascarpone, this weekend.
It's hubby's birthday on Saturday, and who doesn't love chocolate cake? My son just returned from a trip to Switzerland with a suitcase half-full of baking chocolate (the other half was full of souvenirs for his sibs and himself)! It's meant to be!

Windischgirl

I ended up doing a taste test with Daisy and Breakstone brands, and liked Daisy the best. Much smoother and milder flavor than the Trader Joes.
Thanks to everyone for their input!

I love Daisy dairy products. Both their cottage cheese and sour cream both have simply the dairy and cultures, but nothing else added. Most of the others have stabilizers etc.