Does using chain mail really work to clean cast iron skillets?

I recently saw an article about using chain mail scrubbers to clean cast iron skillets. Does it actually work? We use a brush, that gets gross pretty quickly. I would love to find a better solution! Thanks!

asked by Rachel about 2 years ago

Coarse salt works like a charm and does not harm the seasoning. ;o)

Rachel

I've done that too!

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I find that the chain mail gets hot as I'm washing the skillet. However, it is helpful for cleaning cooked on food. I have a very sturdy brush with a handle, a cooks illustrated pick, that works very well for most jobs. The brush I use cleans up easily. Here's a link to amazon with the brush I use.
https://www.amazon.com...

What a question?!
Of course it works, if you put the knight wearing the chain mail to work on the skillets ;)
(sorry - is this too flippant? - couldn't resist)

Lol. That was perfect.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Hahaha! I had the same picture in my head - a knight in his tunic and clunky boots scrubbing pots and pans.

Yes, this used to be a commonplace practice.

Here's the Google image search for "pan scrubber antique":

https://www.google.com...

I use the coarse salt technique myself.

I have the same brush as Trena. I use it exclusively on my Wok and cast iron. It's fabulous.

scruz

only if you hold your computer really close. nah, too risky. go with salt.