Digital Thermometer for jam, candy, yoghurt

I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

asked by louisez about 2 years ago

Dona

http://www.target.com/p...
I hope this link works, it looks wonky. But this is the thermometer I use, I got mine at William Sonoma, but they no long carry it. Target has it for about $18, probably available at Amazon too. I've use mine for years and I make a lot of candy.

The best is the Chef Alarm from Thermaworks. You will get the best price by ordering it directly from them. Right now they are having an "open box" sale on their Thermapen--which you wouldn't use for the purposes you named---but the best instant read out there.

Dona

Pierino, do you know if Thermapen makes a thermo that clips on to the pan? I have Thermapen but it's not really a candy thermo, since I need to clip it to the pan.

Yes the Thermaworks Chef Alarm has a clip for that reason.

Dona

Wow, I have a Thermapen chef alarm and never knew I could clip it on the pan! Thanks.

louisez

Thanks for the recommendation. I got the Chef alarm, and it works really well. I appreciate your advice.
By the way, did I see that you're coming out with a cookbook? I'd like to hear more about that.

The title of my cookbook is Malavida! But until the agent I've been working with finds a home for it the less said the better.

louisez

I Iook forward to the more said the better re. the book.

louisez

Thanks! Will check this out. Wish the Thermoworks wasn't so expensive -- but having something reliable and durable might be worth it.

The Thermaworks website frequently runs sales on various items from their product line. Check in from time to time or subscribe to their online newsletter.

I've used this simple Taylor one for years for jam and candy with great success.
Sturdy, accurate, inexpensive.
If yogurt requires the same temp range, you might consider it.
https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precision-Products-Stainless-Thermometer/dp/B00004XSC9/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1468759593&sr=1-2&keywords=taylor+thermometer

I have aThermapen. I guess I can check the website for confirmation but can I use it for frying, candy and jam?