Digital Thermometer for jam, candy, yoghurt

I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

• Posted by: louisez
  • July 16, 2016

Dona
Dona July 16, 2016
http://www.target.com/p...
I hope this link works, it looks wonky. But this is the thermometer I use, I got mine at William Sonoma, but they no long carry it. Target has it for about $18, probably available at Amazon too. I've use mine for years and I make a lot of candy.
pierino July 16, 2016

The best is the Chef Alarm from Thermaworks. You will get the best price by ordering it directly from them. Right now they are having an "open box" sale on their Thermapen--which you wouldn't use for the purposes you named---but the best instant read out there.

Dona
Dona July 17, 2016

Pierino, do you know if Thermapen makes a thermo that clips on to the pan? I have Thermapen but it's not really a candy thermo, since I need to clip it to the pan.

pierino July 17, 2016

Yes the Thermaworks Chef Alarm has a clip for that reason.

Dona
Dona July 17, 2016

Wow, I have a Thermapen chef alarm and never knew I could clip it on the pan! Thanks.

louisez
louisez July 28, 2016

Thanks for the recommendation. I got the Chef alarm, and it works really well. I appreciate your advice.
By the way, did I see that you're coming out with a cookbook? I'd like to hear more about that.

pierino July 28, 2016

The title of my cookbook is Malavida! But until the agent I've been working with finds a home for it the less said the better.

louisez
louisez July 28, 2016

I Iook forward to the more said the better re. the book.

louisez
louisez July 17, 2016

Thanks! Will check this out. Wish the Thermoworks wasn't so expensive -- but having something reliable and durable might be worth it.

pierino July 29, 2016

The Thermaworks website frequently runs sales on various items from their product line. Check in from time to time or subscribe to their online newsletter.

Nancy July 17, 2016

I've used this simple Taylor one for years for jam and candy with great success.
Sturdy, accurate, inexpensive.
If yogurt requires the same temp range, you might consider it.
https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precision-Products-Stainless-Thermometer/dp/B00004XSC9/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1468759593&sr=1-2&keywords=taylor+thermometer

sexyLAMBCHOPx July 17, 2016

I have aThermapen. I guess I can check the website for confirmation but can I use it for frying, candy and jam?