What are your favorite out-of-print cookbooks?

Inspired by Ali's recent question related to resources for reading out-of-print cookbooks (here: https://food52.com/hotline...) I want to know what out-of-print cookbooks you have and love.

Community Editor at Food52

asked about 2 years ago

Check these out - I love them more for the late 60's / early 70's flashback value. In the Commune one - an opening chapter it titled "A Rap About Kitchen Tools" - heh - and it reads like, well what you would expect.
Hare Krishna quote: This transcendental cookbook is designed to help you transform one of the most important daily chores into a spiritual reservoir of bliss.

How's THAT for a mission statement??

Because I learned from them and they still had a whiff of earlier or original editions (which subsequent editions have good but different flavors):
Joy of Cooking (1975 edition) and Larousse Gastronomique (English 1938).
Unprejudiced Palate, 1948 by Angelo Pellegrini. Italian way of home gardening and cooking. Not recovered or reintroduced, but retained by an Italian immigrant in California who was, I think, a professor of literature, but kept his family's way of eating.
Rochester Hadassah Cookbook, 1972. Like all those Junior League books...a fund-raiser and collection of tried-and-true home recipes. Includes my parents' generation of home cooks, all identified by their husbands' names, good basic recipes, memories.
Ontario herbs and forage products, mid 70s, spiral bound leaflet from a conservation centre. Now gone. Again, like the Pellegrini book, author had the sense to record and present recipes with decades of proven use. Made lots of jams, teas, mushrooms, etc from this little booklet.

paseo

Actually, Angelo Pellegrini was a professor at U of Washington, lived, gardened and cooked in Seattle. A great guy and a terrific writer.

Paseo, thanks for the update on where Angelo Pellegrini lived and worked. Sounds like you knew him...lucky you!

Helen Brown's West Coast Cook Book (1952) is an American Classic. Also Sheila Hibben's American Regional Cookery (1946). The Golden Age of American cook books was probably 1961 when the truly great, ground breaking ones appeared.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

It certainly has to do with where I come from, but this one is my favorite, especially if you are into ethnic cooking https://www.amazon.com...

jilhil

Italian Farmhouse Cookbook by Susan Herrmann Loomis

Another rare book from 1961 was Gourmet's Basic French Cookbook by Louis Diat. It was timed to arrive with the New York World's Fair. Same year as Julia Child's but a better book. Unlike most cookbooks today the recipes might be one or two paragraphs with the ingredients included. I inherited my mother's copy. She bought most of the good ones back then.

Anna del Conte's Italian Kitchen: I Dolci, for it's Torta Sbrisolona (crumbly cake) of cornmeal and other desserts and cakes
Jacquelin Higuera McMahan, California Rancho Cooking
Marimar Torres, The Catalan Country Kitchen

keg72

The Campagna Table by Mark Strausman and Julia Moskin -- such great Italian recipes. Very accessible. I'd highly recommend it (as would the reviewers on Amazon, it seems). And, it's apparently available very cheaply!

https://www.amazon.com...

Community Editor at Food52

So many great ones for me to keep my eyes peeled for, thanks all!

mainecook61

Irene Kuo, The Key to Chinese Cooking

Nina Angela McKissock

Uh oh. I just put forty-one beloved, old cookbooks in the hallway of my apartment building. The three volumes of McCall's Cooking School went first. Now I regret it.

louisez

New York Times Heritage Cook Book -- Jean Hewitt