🔕 🔔

Short Rib Question #2: I'm making the Dan Barber short ribs recipe tonight and time is running a bit short. The recipe calls for them to be in the oven for 4 (or more) hours at 225.

I know when it comes to short ribs low and slow is the name of the game, but is there any way to speed the process up a bit? Maybe 3 hours at 275?

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

asked almost 7 years ago

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

Yes--this works. I usually cook these at 275 and ribs were definitely tender.

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

I made these the other day for tonight and cooked them at 250 for 3.5 hours. They were fine. Don't skimp on reducing the sauce; it makes a huge difference.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

It's all going to depend on the fat content of the ribs, the thickness and toughness of the meat.

Sometimes, something 'magical' occurs when cooking ribs and they go from tough to tender in a just a bit of time at the last part of cooking. Hitting them with a higher heat at first (even 400 for 10 mins) and then backing down to 250 for the long run would be a plan to shorten time. Of course that depends on if you used sugar based sauce on them at first--as it could burn at higher heat, unless you wrapped in foil.