🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Jim Lahey's No-Knead Pizza Dough + Margherita Pie

51006ece 27c9 4bd0 8cd2 b3efda667fcc  food52 01 30 12 3449

I have a question about the recipe "Jim Lahey's No-Knead Pizza Dough + Margherita Pie" from Genius Recipes. Could I use a small block of fresh yeast for this? That is the yeast I have - but I'm not sure how to use in this recipe.

asked by mosteff about 1 year ago

The fresh yeast should work fine, but maybe a bit faster than the active dry yeast.
So two tips -
* Don't use too much fresh yeast
* Check the dough more often than Lahey recipe suggests in case you need to punch it down intermittently.
Last, have a look at this article on converting recipes of active dry yeast to fresh & vice versa. Or similar ones on the web.
http://makebread.com.au...

thanks!!

6e75173a fd2f 46d8 b480 ce4d641eb738  p1000851

It depends on the size of the block. They used to be sold two ways. If its a 2-3 oz block - it sorta looks like 3 tablespoons of butter? use a third would be like using one packet from a 3 strip of dried yeast. If its smaller than 2 oz. - looks like 1 tablespoon of butter, then it equals one packet of dried.
I have not seen it available for years and used to buy a pound of fresh yeast from a bakery or pizzaria. While not exactly the same I would divide it into 16 equal cubes, wrap them each in plastic wrap and put them in a zipper bag in the freezer. They keep very well frozen but only several days in the fridge. I had very good results with this method and baked great bread with it. Now you have me wanting to search the web and see if I can still buy it in bulk. It must be available somewhere.

Thanks - I'm currently living in Italy at the moment so that block - ~3tblsp as you say- is an item available in the dairy section here.

If you are in Italy maybe you should ask someone there. When I go and bake at a friends in France the packaged yeast is different than ours in the US- its finer. I would guess that the yeast is a similar product in Italy and its not going to make or break it, kwim? Jim Lahey uses much less yeast and longer rises, right? Try one batch with a third of the yeast you have.
Wish I was there to try it!

0c045c93 91ad 4290 b7a5 710b9e71254c  image

Wish I was there to try it!