🔕 🔔

Looking for ideas for finger food done on a panini press

Did the quesadilla but would like better ideas, can you guys help?

asked by Michael bennett about 1 year ago

combinations to make 1-2 bite size servings:
salumi around (hard or crisp) vegetables;
pastry dough around mini-hot-dogs (old 50s-60s hor d'oeuvre which can be revived or modified for today's tastes);
crusty wedges of potato or sweet potato, for dipping in good sauces or crusted with seasoned salt and spices;
miniature grilled cheese sandwiches (in sliders or even smaller mini-hamburger buns);
grilled tree-fruit wedges (nectarines, etc) for the dessert wrap-up part of the meal or party. maybe gild the lily with melted cheese or caramel on top.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I like the fruit idea Nancy. I was just thinking , maybe mini has browns too

Phil - I thought of hash browns too, but was afraid they'd fall apart. And if we compress them enough that they hold together, they risk looking and tasting like something from a fast food chain. Do you have technique/shaping solutions for this problem?

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

You can do a lot here. Get some dinner rolls or the kings Hawaiian rolls and make cuban sandwiches or buy some ready made mini meatballs and a little cheese & tomato sauce for meatball heroes. Slice a skinny baguette and make mini ham and gruyere cheese sandwiches, dip in egg for mini monte cristos. buy mini rye and corned beef for mini reubens, Mini bagels with lox..,mini eggo waffles with jelly, you make mini smashed potatoes (first boil them)
How many ideas do you need?

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

no Nancy, I did see it done in a waffle iron so figured it could work in a panini

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

I have a muffaletta recipe posted called Waiting for Bonaparte.

Bruschetta. Use the press to toast the bread and get nice grill marks burned in. Top with liver pate or olive salad. And don't call it bru-SHET-ta.

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

Bravo Pierino, brusKetta !! If you say olive I say tapenade !

I love tapenade but I'm thinking olive salad as on a muffaletta.

I tell you the true, I never tried the muffaletta and it is one of my dearest dreams. Just the name makes me happy !!!!

When children come for a swim I make panini and soft pizza cut in cubes. It is a savoury soft brioche with melted mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and basil inside. I have the recipe here:
https://food52.com/recipes...

9808fbbd 8e88 4d26 b59d 241012a98180  soft pizza foodgawker

Thanks everyone for your input, some great ideas here. I did try the Hawaiian rolls and that did go over well. Nancy, I like the idea of the potato I ddi see that recipe too it's for a waffle iron which I'm going to try out this weekend. Pierino, going to check out your recipe now, thank you.

Michael Bennett - glad you liked the idea of hash brown potatoes on a waffle iron, but credit for it really should go to Phil, who has road-tested it and found it worthy.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Nancy, thanks but I saw it on TV, can't say I did it. Glad the ideas worked out Michael.