lastnightsdinner

When dining at Ethiopian restaurants, I've often had T'ej, or the native honey wine. You could probably go with an Alsatian wine, like a Riesling or similar?

virgieandhats

I do think an Alsatian riesling would be a good substitute for Tej. If you want something different, I think a Malbec from S. America might be nice or for another white, a Gruner Veltliner? Since Ethiopian food is bold and flavorful, one of these food-friendly wines would be excellent. I think you could make a lot of good choices!

obleak1

I actually had an Ethiopian meal at a restaurant that had an impressive list of craft beers. A hoppy IPA was actually a good match for the food. It was Surly Abrasive.

innoabrd

beer!

Aldo Sohm
Aldo Sohm

Aldo Sohm is the award-winning Chef Sommelier at Le Bernardin in NYC.

Alsatian muscat or Gewurztraminer is a good match as long as it has a little residual sugar. German Rieslings are also good as they can work with the spiciness of the food. Italian Lambrusco could be an interesting choice given the rich flavors of the food.

wssmom

Besides beer (always good), riesling (kabinett) goes well ....