🔕 🔔

Green Produce Bags

I was wondering what the Hotline thinks of storing produce in the Green Produce Bags that are sold to keep produce fresher longer...

asked by SallyM about 1 year ago

I think they're totally fine. It depends on how ripe/unripe your produce it, what state of freshness etc. that might affect how long it lasts in the fridge and also where you keep in the fridge.

if I have a dirty/wet bag while using up a vegetable, I use the bag as my 'garbage counter' bag while cooking and just dump my scraps, peels, etc into there. Makes cleaning easy and reduces the number of dishes to wash (which means less water wastage also!).

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

I have used them many times and love them! Although this time of year everything gets consumed quite quickly so I'm not using them right now. Follow the directions and they work great.

F16adcb5 e667 4c56 8d37 2984714c46e9  open uri20131025 3491 1e6gbf8

Just be clear that these bags WILL NOT protect against spoilage due to excess humidity or the proliferation of molds due to an abundance of moisture or condensation on your produce. Therefore I recommend the use of ethylene-absorbing bags only for produce stored in places with ***ample air circulation*** and the lowest humidity possible OR for fruits/root vegetables (not leafy greens) stored outside of refrigeration on your worktop or elsewhere in your kitchen.

I have had the best results with these bags for: tomatoes, all summer squashes, eggplants, cucumbers, capsicums/bell peppers & chilies, stonefruits (excl. cherries), all citrus (low humidity is crucial), haricot beans, favas/broad beans, potatoes/sweet potatoes, rhubarb, okra, carrots, celery (all parts), fennel, artichokes, whole leafy greens (store in fridge unless eating immediately - here is where humidity is an advantage), radishes, parsnips, and spring onions.

Produce that can be hit or miss with green bags depending on initial conditions: apples, pears, tomatillos, leafy herbs (such as fresh parsley and coriander/cilantro - must be in fridge with stems in a small amount of water for best results), lettuces, cabbages, strawberries, blackberries/blueberries/currants (in punnet box or other container), mangoes, persimmons, kiwifruit, quinces.

Fruit that are too big or thick-skinned to make much difference at all: watermelons, muskmelons, papaya (not a fan anyway), plantains, winter squashes, pumpkins.

Produce not suited for green bags: raspberries and other delicate berries such as elderberries, grapes (especially thin-skinned varieties), bean sprouts of any kind, rocket/arugula, watercress, basil, dill weed, bananas (all kinds except plantains), onions, garlic, garlic scapes, ramps, broccoli/broccoli rabe, cauliflower, most kinds of fresh mushrooms/fungi.

Let me know if you have had different results than my own - would love to compare!