🔕 🔔

Trace amonts of alcohol in cooking for teenagers

I've been encountering many recipes (notably in sauces or desserts), where a small amount of alcohol is added for an extra kick, and depth of flavor. Putting aside whether it's illegal or not, *cough* do small amounts of alcohol like those called for in desserts have any bad health effects? (theres no way i'd possibly get addicted because the amount of alcohol my family drinks is near zero, they probably drink a quarter of a glass every week or two).

The fact that my gelato is frozen stiff because I wanted to add less sugar is another reason im considering a little alcohol :p, im trying to tweak the recipe to lower the sugar for my friends who have type two diabetes running in the family. (though none of them have it yet) Obviously I wouldn't give the gelato to them until they hit 21, or if their parents give me permission to though. Still have three years to go until I'm legal T_T

asked by Derek Xiao 4 months ago

This is definitely something to discuss with your and their parents, not us. First, we don't know your recipe or the amount of alcohol called for. In my family, we would not worry about the small amount it most probably calls for, but I wouldn't assume anything for others.

Also, many people will tell you that alcohol burns off when cooked. Not true. So, here's a nifty link for you to look at for your own cooking education. :)

https://www.bsciresourcecenter...

thanks!

This one addresses deglazing. I didn't look at it too carefully...the math was making my head hurt. The info comes from UC Davis though, so good source.

http://www.culinarylore...

it doesn't seem to address the fact that when you deglaze a pan (almost how i've always been using it in cooking), it definitely loses a lot more alcohol than if you just simmer/bake it since the pan is quite hot.

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

In the small quantities added in most recipes, the final percentage of alcohol in the food (and it does burn off to some extent, depending on the cooking process, as quantified in the link Susan W provided) will be small enough to be only of concern to those avoiding it for religious reasons. It's also worth noting that many foods we eat do have a tiny amount of alcohol in them anyway, i.e. ripe fruit from fermentation by wild yeasts, or miso (a small amount of ethanol is added as a preservative).

will do, He's fine with me adding wine to deglaze, but probably isnt aware that ~10-20% of the alcohol is still in it. Though I doubt he'd care if i told him. I'll ask him about deserts though.

dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Sure; the distinction I meant to draw was that in most foods where alcohol is added for flavor, there is not enough in the final dish to have a direct, appreciable physiological effect.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

This is an erroneous statement: "...will be small enough to be only of concern to those avoiding it for religious reasons." Sobriety and recovery are an issue for those who choose to not eat food with alcohol. If your underage and posting such a question consult with your parents.

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

Alcohol is often used in ice creams these days for texture- a shame, since the largest
consumers of ice cream are kids and recovering alcoholics.

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

If I understand correctly, you are adding alcohol instead of sugar to lower risk of diabetes. Alcohol is sugar (in some cases worst than sugar) and it is not suitable for diabetics, especially strong drinks like gin, vodka....
Besides that, Italian always cook with wine or marsala for everybody. I think it is more a cultural issue and how alcohol is perceived within the community.
If it happens, I would always ask parents' consent if I have guests underage, it is a form of respect.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

It's true that alcohol can be problematic for diabetics, but that's due to metabolic issues and interactions with some medication. Surprisingly, hard liquor, like vodka, whisky, gin, etc. has 0 sugar/0 carbs (of course wine/beer has sugar, and mixers like tonic or juice can add tons of sugar.)

But back to the question at hand, with my kids I never hesitated to put a couple of tablespoons of, e.g., liqueur in a batch of ice cream - the amount in one serving is tiny. But I agree it's a cultural thing and really up to the kids' parents.

50e6ebd3 b4c9 4d51 bd5e 1163afa4ba06  2013wreath

It depends on the quantity of alcohol in the recipe and who is going to be enjoying it. I, myself, don't drink alcohol but I will use it in sauces or when braising meat. Doesn't really taste like alcohol, just gives it a deeper flavor. For desserts I try to use recipes that don't use alcohol, but that is my choice.