🔕 🔔

Need great recipe for Pesto without cheese

Anyone have recipe for a basil pesto with no cheese. My son can't have cheese

asked by Lara almost 2 years ago

Patricia Wells has this wonderful Light Basil Sauce recipe in her Provence cookbook, http://www.foodandwine...

It's a basil pesto without cheese. It freezes and thaws very well. So I make a big batch that I freeze in 1/2 cup portions.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

You don't have to put cheese in. The french version (pistou) is without pine nuts and cheese. Halfpint's recipe is pretty much the same thing. It will be just as good without the cheese albeit different.

Savory Love

Use a standard pesto recipe, but sub in a little bit of nutritional yeast in lieu of the cheese. That should add a little bit of cheesiness without the cheese!

Lara

That is what I did. Worked just fine

Phillip minyard

What proportion of nutritional yeast instead of cheese?

If he misses the complexity of cheese, you could make one of these variations:
*with carrot tops (or greens)
*hazelnut oregano (good on squash ravioli)
*mint cumin (good on Moroccan dishes)
*walnut za'atar (good on bread or fish)
*Sicilian - with almond raisin caper anchovy pepperoncini (good on spiral pasta)

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Have you thought about nutritional yeast? I use it when I'm out of parmesan or I'm being lazy. It's included in a lot of vegan pesto recipes - there's something about it that is very reminiscent of that salty, nutty bite of parmesan. Good luck!

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

....and somebody already mentioned that. Must read earlier answers.... Well, I second the suggestion! :)