🔕 🔔

I was gifted a piece of honeycomb, and I have no idea what to do!

A friend of mine keeps bees, and gave me a nice chunk of honeycomb for my birthday. It's a beautiful gift and I'm very excited, the honey is delicious. I want to make sure I use this in something amazing, but I have no idea how one would use it! Suggestions, please!

asked by Jesse Gallant about 1 year ago

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

Someone with some experience will doubtless chime in, but I do seem to remember reading that honey was once commonly sold in the form of chunks of honeycomb- I think that you just use it as honey.

OK, cancel that comment- I had only read the condensed version of your question.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Personally, I would enjoy it just as is, a spoon or two in the morning with a glass of cold water. Or on top of nice thick cold yogurt. The simpler the better to let the flavor of the honey shine. Anything else would eat it up. It truly is a gift...

I agree with Queen Sashy. Once in a while, I buy honey from the farmers market. I always go for the jar that has honeycomb in it. I love eating it with a spoon or laying a chunk on top of Ellenos Greek Yogurt which is sold in Seattle and Portland. I also like it on creamy cottage cheese or fresh ricotta. Swoon.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I am also on team Just Eat It, you could add it to your cheese board - perhaps with some strong cheese and nuts, good bread, and minced herbs ...

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Good honey drizzled on cheese - a blue (Gorgonzola, Stilton, etc.) or a rich triple creme - along with nuts and maybe a juicy sliced pear is my idea of a great dessert.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

When I was a kid, I enjoyed chewing on the honeycomb..

I just spotted a recipe in the current issue of Saveur magazine that might interest you: Honeycomb-Einkorn Scones with Hazkenuts and Rosemary. It's featured in an article on baking breads with ancient grains. And yes, it incorporates pieces of honeycomb.

4caa0af8 566e 43ab 992b 57e8725a8b1a  joey

a few friends kept bees when I was growing up, and the most sublime way to enjoy honey was to cut the comb into small pieces and chew them. So delicious!!