How many raisins should you use in a sourdough starter?

I've got a (usually brilliant) bread book (Brilliant Bread by James Morton) which has given instructions on making a starter with raisins, but it does not say how many?

asked by Rachel Phipps about 2 years ago

A quick Internet search shows that he recommends a "handful":

http://bakingjames.co.uk/super-sourdough-at-home/

Rachel Phipps

Thanks, a handful is in the book but I was wondering if anyone had anything more specific - my hands are tiny for example!

Why don't you just try a handful and see if it works?

That's an interesting ingredient for a starter. I've started a starter from grapes and caught the yeast in the air, but I can't imagine why raisins int he starter is called for. I think I'd omit them and add them to the bread later, perhaps.