Raisins rock hard in granola

I've been making lots of granola batches lately, and for some reasons whenever I include raisins in the batch, after the granola is done baking, the raisins are rock hard. I'm looking for a nice, chewy consistency. I usually bake it at 300 degrees for about 40 minutes, in the middle rack, stirring it every 15-20 min. What am I doing wrong? And how do I get the raisins to stay nice and chewy?

asked by Ali Worthalter about 2 years ago

Jane Katz
Jane Katz

Jane is an Account Executive at Food52

you could also try soaking your raisins in warm water for 30minutes before baking.

foofaraw

And add a dash/cap-full of rum on the soaking water for more flavor and cut the sweetness (like my mom always does when I was a kid)

Ali Worthalter

Interesting, I'll try that next time! With the rum!

mstv

Usually if you add during the last 10 minutes or so they will incorporate into the clumps (but will not be as overcooked).

I just made granola yesterday using the recipe from Bon Appetit. It is delicious! It calls for adding the dried fruit after the granola has cooled to room temperature. Has to be the best granola recipe I have made. They call for stir the granola every 10 minutes and bake for 40. Mine was done in 30 minutes. Delicious!