🔕 🔔

Raisins rock hard in granola

I've been making lots of granola batches lately, and for some reasons whenever I include raisins in the batch, after the granola is done baking, the raisins are rock hard. I'm looking for a nice, chewy consistency. I usually bake it at 300 degrees for about 40 minutes, in the middle rack, stirring it every 15-20 min. What am I doing wrong? And how do I get the raisins to stay nice and chewy?

asked by Ali Worthalter over 1 year ago

Ec3458b0 aaab 456e 810a c5fa000456f2  2016 02 16 14 37 48
Jane Poretsky

Jane is an Account Executive at Food52

you could also try soaking your raisins in warm water for 30minutes before baking.

And add a dash/cap-full of rum on the soaking water for more flavor and cut the sweetness (like my mom always does when I was a kid)

Interesting, I'll try that next time! With the rum!

Usually if you add during the last 10 minutes or so they will incorporate into the clumps (but will not be as overcooked).

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

I just made granola yesterday using the recipe from Bon Appetit. It is delicious! It calls for adding the dried fruit after the granola has cooled to room temperature. Has to be the best granola recipe I have made. They call for stir the granola every 10 minutes and bake for 40. Mine was done in 30 minutes. Delicious!