🔕 🔔

Savory bake sale inspiration?

This will be an all day event so whatever I end up making will need to be able to stand at room temperature for several hours. I'd like to have a variety of offerings to accommodate different diets (gluten-free, nut-free, vegetarian, vegan etc.) So far the only things I can think of are very carb heavy, (pretzels, focaccia, biscuits, scones etc.) so points for anything that contains a vague notion of a vegetable or protein.

asked by Hannah 11 months ago

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH

If this is too sweet I'm sorry but I often use an old recipe for no bake chocolate peanut butter oatmeal balls. I cut the sugar in 1/2 but they are always popular. My daughter is a competitive swimmer & these are very popular,

MMH

I should have asked about the nature of your event,

You can make patties from various vegetables (most work well except the very watery) and have different sauces or dips to go with them.
They give the satisfaction of crunch and saltiness (moderate) without going crazy.
Also, some kind of clafouti or other pastry with lots of fruit, in individual portions (small cardbord cups).

Two other ideas
Sweet potato cake with optional icing (so there's fiber & nutrients from the veg)
Pain d'epices. A French spice cake which can last all day and be relatively low in sugar. Optional nuts. Similary, British gingerbread and Jewish honey cakes (seasonal now for Rosh Hashanah). All have spices & some sweetener, which can be reduced.

Last addition, for those who can eat wheat, is to make savory versions of biscotti and shortbread...I made them with Parmesan, rosemary and corn, also seen recipes for onion, cheddar and other herbs.

F92231df 227e 4486 9cc8 279621ca1481  harvest party

Last year I made vegan granola bars for a bake sale. I think I found the recipe on Food 52 but did not save the link. They were good and sold pretty well - they are not a money maker though if you pay yourself back for the ingredients, with a lot of nuts and dried fruit the cost per bar was pretty high.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

I would check the guidelines of the event; i.e., what they allow as far as ingredients (many forbid anything with nuts due to allergies), quantity needed, etc. At our local school they have huge signs on all the doors, "NO NUT ZONE" and you can't bring in anything with nuts. I don't recall this ever being an issue back in the days when I was in elementary school. Not sure how this happened. Anyway, good luck, sound like a fun time! BB

74ae45ce 244b 4655 8a1e a8655c72047a  img 4116

Similar to the granola bar suggestion above; a savory homemade protein bar could be perfect if you think the clientele at your event would go for them. I've adapted the pictured recipe from the book Power Hungry: The Ultimate Energy Bar Cookbook (let me know if you can't read the picture, I've been meaning to add my favorite variant to the site). You can try to find a vegan protein powder if you want to go full out vegan; I couldn't find any without artificial sweeteners in my area. I find that coconut milk works best of non dairy milks and Tahini the best of the seed butters.

Some ideas to make it savory: add nutritional yeast and chopped up sun-dried tomatoes, press spiced pumpkin seeds into the top before refrigerating, add chopped pretzels or favorite flavor of chip, etc.

Ddde205d ff1d 4491 9812 73e09efd997d  20160921 094821

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

Would gougeres work?

Why not make a couple of Pissaladieres? I like to do as they do in Nice and use puff pastry for the base (DuFour's frozen is all butter and very handy). Here are links to the two versions I have posted here on Food52: https://food52.com/recipes...
https://food52.com/recipes...

B2befda5 69b1 4925 9c92 66168fc125ef  jwitha

Frittata, Spanish Tortilla with potatoes, or those quinoa-egg-cheese muffins are great savory & GF additions that can stand around all day and all of them are high in protein and stand up to the addition of many vegetables!

I recently made the Tomato Galette from Posy Harwood, and because of the pastry I used I made 2 smaller pies rather than the larger one. It was delicious and would work well if you made it smaller, the size of tarts. I think it would be fine at room temperature. https://food52.com/blog...

How about something that uses popcorn? you could make balls or just bags of flavored popcorn: cheesy, spice, vegan....

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

How about making vegetable chips and bag them for individual sale? Beef Jerky, spiced crunchy chickpeas or cheese straws.

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

Hannah, this sounds like a very challenging task. Here are my gluten-free, nut-free, vegetarian,etc. suggestions:
Gluten free Arancini
http://yourguardianchef...
Rice Balls Recipe
http://yourguardianchef...
for just vegeterian and nut-free, this will beat any focaccia: Soft Pizza with cherry tomatoes, basil and mozzarella:
http://yourguardianchef...