Panna cotta divided

B94e3189 4967 411b 857f 558907f21149  img 1357

I made coffee panna cotta yesterday from a Nigella Lawson recipe. When I unmolded one I realized it had divided into two distinct layers, one quite dark and rubbery (bottom layer in the mold) and the other light with a mousse-like consistency. I've never had this happen with panna cotta; it's very attractive but I'm not crazy about the consistency. Any ideas what might have happened?

asked by Terri over 1 year ago

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Did you sprinkle the gelatin in liquid for 5 minutes? If not, I suspect that's the cause of the two layers.

Terri

Yes I did. I've made Panna cotta quite a few times and I think I have the procedure down. It's a mystery! Thanks for your response.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Rats! I thought that might be it. I bet other Food52ers will have some ideas as to what went wrong. Sounds like a delicious recipe.

Liz D

Maybe it was stirred too vigorously after it started to set, and air bubbles formed, which rose to the top & formed the mousse-like part? Just guessing...