Panna cotta divided

I made coffee panna cotta yesterday from a Nigella Lawson recipe. When I unmolded one I realized it had divided into two distinct layers, one quite dark and rubbery (bottom layer in the mold) and the other light with a mousse-like consistency. I've never had this happen with panna cotta; it's very attractive but I'm not crazy about the consistency. Any ideas what might have happened?

• Posted by: Terri
  • October 7, 2016
Question image

Liz D. October 9, 2016
Maybe it was stirred too vigorously after it started to set, and air bubbles formed, which rose to the top & formed the mousse-like part? Just guessing...

Trena H. October 7, 2016
Did you sprinkle the gelatin in liquid for 5 minutes? If not, I suspect that's the cause of the two layers.

Terri October 7, 2016
Yes I did. I've made Panna cotta quite a few times and I think I have the procedure down. It's a mystery! Thanks for your response.

Trena H. October 7, 2016
Rats! I thought that might be it. I bet other Food52ers will have some ideas as to what went wrong. Sounds like a delicious recipe.