Today's the last day of our NYC Holiday Market. So come see us! »
🔕 🔔

Hi Erin,
I live at sea level in the UK and use gelatin on a regular basis to set panna cotta, so I don't think it's a regional issue. I prefer the leaf version to the powder one although it can be a bit more hit and miss when it comes to the final consistency. I can't imagine there being a big difference between fridge temperatures or the quality of the gelatin in Texas and Spain so I would measure the liquid you want to set and then compare it with how much a sachet of gelatin sets (it usually says so on it) and figure out the required amount this way. For panna cotta I prefer a softer consistency so I usually use slightly less than it says on the packet.
Happy experimenting!

Fd8094c9 9cd1 4700 9b90 ab93f1915ef1  stringio

thanks! as simple as "read the package" sounds, i hadn't thought of it. will do.

I know nothing about panna cotta so look it up and I found reference to the bloom of geletin, which is an indication of the strength of geletin. So it does indeed sound reasonable that gelatin in Spain and Texas are diferent. But presumably reading directions on the package as suggested will solve the problem.

6cb49ef7 38b5 4eb6 aae4 04078f60ca73  how to make a custard part 1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Gelatin is sensitive to temperatures - did it get whisked into hot or warm or boiling or boiled liquid? Gelatin is definitely not the same the world over, and so is best measured by weight instead of volume. If your pannacotta in the States took only 2 hours to completely set, your ratio of gelatin : liquid was high, and your fridge was super cold. As an example, for a very firm gel I use 2 grams gelatin to 100 grams liquid, but for something more like soft-set pannacotta, I would use 2 grams gelatin to 300 grams liquid - but I use leaf gelatin and I don't want a very firm set because I prefer the taste of dairy over the flavor of gelatin. I hope this helps. You may want to make friends with a local pastry chef or restaurant/bakery owner, and ask to purchase some of what they use in their kitchens. Good luck!