2 (!) new cookbooks from Food52—comin' atchya. Shop the presale »
🔕 🔔

How long can grape juice sit in a sealed container in the fridge before being water bathed for canning?

My wife and I picked some concord grapes, went through the entire process of making grape juice but it was too late to water bathe on a Sunday night. Well, we forgot about it and I think the grape juice has been in a container for somewhere between three weeks to a month. It smells fine and seems to taste fine.

Any thoughts?

asked by Marshal Tofte 3 months ago
68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Typically when I make refrigerator jams and pickles I use them within a month. Since it's been so long and without knowing the recipe you've used I'd suggest eating it very, very soon as the standard month for consumption (at least in my household) has elapsed. So, I suppose my thoughts are: eat it soon and don't bother to hot water bath can your jelly. I do feel your pain. Sometimes I'm surprised at the length of time and amount of work it takes to put up food.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.