🔕 🔔

What to do with apple mush from making cider??

I just made apple cider in my slow cooker and after straining out the liquid I have this apple mush that I think could be used for something...ideas?

asked by Natalie 11 months ago

Make applesauce or pectin, http://www.instructables...

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

Bake it into muffins or quick bread? Or good ole' compost :-)

some baking recipes allow you to use applesauce instead of the oil or fat.

I have an old hand cranked apple press and I usually feed the mush to my cows and horses, but most people don't have those. :-)

If it's actually apple pulp you might be able to push it through a sieve and then cook it down into apple butter. Peels and cores could be cooked with more liquid to make an apple juice for jelly and if there's not enough apple flavor you could add cranberries or elderberries for more flavor. If you put it through a sieve the resulting mush will be applesauce, which can be used in the traditional manner.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

That apple pomace really fires up the compost heap.

Eb2e95be d4aa 4149 83fa 65e3c0783594  stringio

I haven't attempted this myself before, but I imagine that you would be able to use it like you would apple sauce in any baking recipe like this one: https://food52.com/recipes...