🔕 🔔

I made broth with freezer-burned beef; but should I eat it?

The beef was organic and I knew the cow.
The beef (a bone-in arm) was very dry and light-weight, but no bad smell or other signs of "danger."
The broth also been in the fridge for a week, as I've not decided whether to eat it.

asked by Ann Marie R. 4 months ago
ktr

I normally make broth with bones and veggie scraps that have been in the freezer in a bag. They do have freeze burn sometimes and I've never noticed a difference in the broth. Freezer burnt meat is safe to eat, it just had a different taste and texture which should not be noticed in broth since the meat has been removed.

The freezer-burned beef you describe wouldn't be unsafe, but I'd taste the broth before using it in a recipe to make sure the flavor is okay.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

My beef is organic and I always know the cow, since s/he grew up in the pasture. How could a bit of freezer burn hurt anything? First, the beef has been frozen and then, it has simmered for a long time. Broth is exactly what I'd make with imperfect frozen meat. REALLY badly freezer-burned meat? Well-cooked and minced, it would make a treat for lots of feathered and four-legged creatures.

415c94a8 7d4a 403b b6a8 4be9cd597841  stringio

Trim the freezer burn off, before cooking. Broth in the fridge for a week, suspect, unless it has a thick fat cap.