🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Pumpkin Flan

F2da93ac 8cfc 43f4 894e 4386ce159a89  2015 1103 pumpkin flan linda xiao 0084

I have a question about the recipe "Pumpkin Flan" from aargersi. So it came out delicious but I had a solid half inch of rock hard sugar on the bottom...no amount of scraping was going to release it. Any ideas? Did I overcook the caramel? I've never made anything requiring sugar work before so this was my first attempt.

asked by Katherine Torski 11 months ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

YES! Keep Calm and Soak On! :-) Seriously that happens every time. Soak it in hot water for a while, rinse, repeat. The sugar will melt I promise!!! Once it's down to not near as much you can scrub the rest out.

Fe30e51a 9e41 4007 93f5 f8b0a3545f25  fb avatar

If you can boil your caramel pan all the caramel will come out. It's ALWAYS better to have more caramel, than not enough. If you have "too much," then the custard will cook it in, so to speak.