Ok bakers: I'm making my brother a Boston Cream Pie for his birthday on Sunday (his fave). Since we have a snow day (in Austin, can you believe it?), I would like to bake the sponge cake today and assemble it with the pastry cream on Sunday. I've refrigerated other layer cakes for a day or two before putting them together, but never a sponge cake. Would it be ok????

drbabs February 4, 2011

I've never done this either, but I would probably give it a shot. Just let it cool completely and wrap it really well so it doesn't pick up other flavors from your refrigerator. And let the layers come to room temperature before you fill and frost it.

Snow in Austin?! Ugh! At least it will melt quickly.

nannydeb
nannydeb February 4, 2011

Thanks drbabs! I think I'll go for it!

hardlikearmour February 4, 2011

FWIW, the latest edition of Cooks Illustrated has a Boston Cream Pie recipe in it. This link should work if you want to check it out: http://www.cooksillustrated...

nannydeb
nannydeb February 4, 2011

Thanks harklikearmour! This cake recipe seems alot easier than the one I've made before so I think I'll use it.

mrslarkin February 4, 2011

Sounds yummmy! Happy bday brother nannydeb! I think it'll be fine. Your question reminded me of something I heard or read recently, and I can't remember where, maybe on t.v.? or foodpickle? Whoever it was said if you wrap your cakes in plastic while still just a bit warm, they'll remain moister when you remove them from fridge/freezer. I'll try to remember...

Also reminded me of when I was little and the whole family (the WHOLE family - Aunts, Uncles, Grandma, cousins, brothers, sisters, moms, dads) would go to the beach every weekend and someone would ALWAYS make a Boston Cream Pie. For at the beach! We were, um, unique.

nannydeb
nannydeb February 4, 2011

Thanks mrslarkin! I decided to wait until tomorrow so that it would only sit 24 hours and made aargersi's Cranberry Coffee Cake instead (for me!). I'll let ya'll know how it turns out!

nannydeb
nannydeb February 10, 2011

Just getting around to posting this, but the Cooks Illustrated recipe was the ticket. The cake part is easier than the Joy of Baking and the result was fabulous! I made the cakes 24 hours in advance and wrapped them in plastic wrap while still slightly warm. I made the pastry cream and ganache the next day and put it together. It helps not having to do it all the same day (for me). Thanks for the advise!

hardlikearmour February 10, 2011

Great, nannydeb! It looks scrumptious, and I'm glad everything worked out smoothly for you.

mrslarkin February 10, 2011

Holy....That thing is gorgeous! Well done, nannydeb! I bet your brother had a happy birthday! I spy Pack fans?