too late for a Judy Bird?

I foolishly just started thinking about my turkey plan. would like to do the Judy Bird, maybe spatchcocked, but only have time for a 24-36 hour dry brine (vs 3 day) is that enough or should i go another route?

asked by Kristen Martha Brown over 1 year ago

24 to 36 hours should be plenty!

Unless you're getting organic...never been injected with stuff...turkey.
Most turkeys come brined from the bag. In fact brining them further can often add more salt if then you'd like.
So, if it's a basic supermarket bird that's been 'plumped up' you'd be fine with cutting back the additional dry brine and just use surface salt when you spatchcock it.

Why yes...I do have a walmart bird this year.

I always do mine for less time (and I will this year too) and it comes out beautifully!

One thing about all these brine, and salting recipes floating around out there now. Is that it's really easy to over salt things if you blindly follow the suggestions.

Even cup measurements for salt in brines really depend on what salt you use.
Kosher....okay which brand? Diamond, Morton..some third party sea salt?
All have different cup measurements. And if the recipe doesn't mention weight...you can really over salt thing.

If you're using a brine; dry or not. I highly recommend using a recipe that mentions a specific brand of salt.

And look at the label on your bird to make sure it isn't flavor 'enchanced' which is basically more salt.

Yup..I've made a salt brick Turkey one year by doing all the wrong things I mentioned.

This recipe specifies the salt brand used for testing, "Measure 1 tablespoon of salt—we used Diamond Crystal kosher— into a bowl for every 5 pounds the turkey weighs (for a 15-pound turkey, you'd have 3 tablespoons)."

That's good recipe writer that specifies the brand.