I accidentally put semisweet chocolate instead of unweetened chocolate in my cake! What can I do? Not enough eggs to start over

The recipe is Campton Place Buttermilk Chocolate Cake from NYT cookbook. I've already combined it with the butter, egg yolks, sugar and buttermilk and I don't have enough sugar or eggs to start over :(.

Micki Balder
Micki Balder November 24, 2016

Hi clintonhillbilly! Unfortunately baking is a finely tuned beast, and adding/altering the recipe at this point probably wouldn't be a good idea. I'd suggest baking it as is, and maybe serving it with a tart dairy like a dollop of creme fraiche to cut the sweetness a bit.

clintonhillbilly
clintonhillbilly November 24, 2016

I was going to top it with a creme fraiche icing but maybe I'll just go with creme fraiche by itself. What about adding a little brewed coffee?

Nancy November 24, 2016

If this is any help, semisweet chocolate has about 15g sugar (1 tbsp) per oz, where unsweetened chocolate has none.
I would bake the cake and serve it
a) in very small pieces
b) with no frosting (don't add more sugar)
c) with clear tea or black coffee, to cut the sweetness
d) maybe with some kind of dairy topping with no added sugar, again to cut the sweetness.
Good luck, and please tell us how it turns out.

Samantha Weiss Hills
Samantha Weiss Hills November 24, 2016

I'd recommend baking it off as is and adjusting after the fact -- does the recipe call for frosting or any icing? Leave it off and opt for something less sweet instead, like cocoa or powdered sugar or fruit. Or, serve it with some simple ice cream instead.

clintonhillbilly
clintonhillbilly November 24, 2016

What if I add a little melted unsweetened baking chocolate, or cocoa and a little bit of brewed coffee?

clintonhillbilly
clintonhillbilly November 24, 2016

Adam Peterson
Adam Peterson November 24, 2016

If you have it, I suggest a sour cream topping with a little vanilla, an a little less sugar than normal. You may also have some luck dusting it with cocoa powder. If you saved a UFO from it ( cake dome), test your fixes using bits of that and taste it before deciding what to use on the cake.

Adam Peterson
Adam Peterson November 24, 2016

You can also make a glaze using your unsweetened chocolate, some coffee and butter. Cook it low on the stove, and add minor amounts of sugar at a time until it is just moving out of bitter. Don't get to the point where its sweet, just cut the edge off the bitter.

Samantha Weiss Hills
Samantha Weiss Hills November 24, 2016

I think both Nancy and Adam's suggestions are great, clintonhillbilly!

clintonhillbilly
clintonhillbilly November 24, 2016

Thanks for all the suggestions. I added 2 tbsp of cocoa powder and will cut down the sugar in a creme fraiche-cream cheese icing recipe. The batter tastes pretty good.