substitute molasses for maple syrup

I have some molasses I want to use up and I have a cookie recipe that calls for maple syrup. Can I and how, can I substitute molasses in the recipe? Thanks!

asked by Catherine Bates almost 2 years ago

You can, but it will (obviously) change the taste, add bitterness, and be less sweet. How much maple syrup is in the recipe? Is there sugar also?

I would go ahead and say no-there's no one to stop you from doing it, but it would be a really radical departure, and cookies that use maple syrup are (in my experience) pretty specifically going for that flavor.

Molasses also has a fair bit of acid in it, which will interact with the leavening agents in the recipe. I would just look for a good molasses cookie, or ginger cookie recipe with molasses in it. There are several here on Food52. ;o)

Good thinking, AJ! I hadn't thought of that.

I would definitely choose a different recipe--ginger snaps, as was already suggested, perhaps a pumpkin muffin or ginger cake, or even baked beans. I wouldn’t try to substitute it for maple syrup. If you don’t have that much, I like molasses on bread with butter.