🔕 🔔

substitute molasses for maple syrup

I have some molasses I want to use up and I have a cookie recipe that calls for maple syrup. Can I and how, can I substitute molasses in the recipe? Thanks!

asked by Catherine Bates 9 months ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

You can, but it will (obviously) change the taste, add bitterness, and be less sweet. How much maple syrup is in the recipe? Is there sugar also?

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

I would go ahead and say no-there's no one to stop you from doing it, but it would be a really radical departure, and cookies that use maple syrup are (in my experience) pretty specifically going for that flavor.

Molasses also has a fair bit of acid in it, which will interact with the leavening agents in the recipe. I would just look for a good molasses cookie, or ginger cookie recipe with molasses in it. There are several here on Food52. ;o)

Good thinking, AJ! I hadn't thought of that.

I would definitely choose a different recipe--ginger snaps, as was already suggested, perhaps a pumpkin muffin or ginger cake, or even baked beans. I wouldn’t try to substitute it for maple syrup. If you don’t have that much, I like molasses on bread with butter.